On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a turntable that will play 78, 45, and 33 1/3 rpm records. My grandmother had a windup record player in a cabinet with storage for records. Some of those records are now close to 100 years old.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    November 21, 1916;

HMHS Britannic, sister ship to RMS Titanic, sinks in the Aegean sea after an explosion in the forward part of the ship. It was never determined whether it was a mine or a torpedo that caused the sinking. Today the remains lie 400' deep at the bottom of the Aegean Sea. The sea was shallow enough that the bow hit the bottom when the stern was still in the air. This explains the bent bow in the underwater view of the wreck.
    HMHS Britannic - Wikipedia
    IMG_1967.JPG IMG_1968.JPG

3. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    November 22, 1842:
    Mount St. Helens erupts. Ash from that eruption might have reached regions 48 miles southeast of the vulcano.
    IMG_6529.JPG
    Photo: Wikipedia

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    On May 18, 1980 I was on a naval reserve training vessel anchored in Maple Bay, British Columbia about 250 miles from Mount St. Helens when it erupted. We heard the sound of the eruption quite clearly that morning. I assume anyone near enough to the volcano in 1842 would have heard something similar.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    John F. Kennedy Assassinated in Dallas today in 1963!

Sad day, indeed - I was a high school senior - in the 90s, I was at a medical meeting in Dallas, and visited the spot; went to the Sixth Floor Museum in the Dallas Book Depository Building where Lee Harvey Oswald was located. Dave :)

131113175251-jfktheday04-horizontal-gallery.jpg img_the-sixth-floor-museum-at-dealey-plaza.jpg

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A sad day indeed. Several years ago I bought a DVD copy of the restored Zapruder film,which also contained a documentary about the film and its restoration.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    His granddaughter, Alexandra Zapruder was on the Diane Rehm NPR show this morning talking about the film and her new book, shown below - cannot remember if I've seen that DVD - just checked and available on Amazon for purchase. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 1.06.08 PM.png

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    November 23, 1963:
    Doctor Who, a British TV science fiction series, was transmitted for the very first time. Due to a power failure in certain areas, and the overshadowing news of J. F. K.'s assassination, the first episode was repeated immediately before the second episode, the following week.
    Doctor Who - Wikipedia

9. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    November 24, 1859:
    "On the Origin of Species", written by Charles Darwin, was published. It's considered the foundation of evolutionary biology.
    On the Origin of Species - Wikipedia

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Back in the early 1960s, I first read that book (and have done a re-read or two since that time) - as an undergrad, I took a number of anthropology and comparative anatomy courses, so early on developed a deep interest in evolution - over the decades, I've read dozens and dozens of books on the topics - no longer have them all (I'm a big culler and also donate books to a local 'senior services' for their annual book sale).

But, just checking my bookshelf, I do have about a dozen that I've keep - must say that two authors predominate my current collection, i.e. Richard Leaky and Donald Johanson - the half dozen of their books shown below are sitting on my den shelf at the moment - believe that I'll do some Amazon searching to see what 'new' may be available - :) Dave
    Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 11.01.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 11.03.09 AM.png