On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, just coming in for the morning and about to post on D-Day but you beat me to the punch! ;)

The Longest Day (1962) w/ a star-studded cast is indeed one of the best war films ever made - summary of the movie below from HERE which also rates the BD version w/ excellent showings, including plenty of extras - this is the version I own and can highly recommend - the film is about 3 hours long, so I typically watch over 2 nights. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 9.08.56 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 9.10.40 AM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Boy, Susan & I have seen many of Gauguin's paintings throughout the decades, both in the USA at the major museums, and also in Europe, especially in France. His Tahitian works are probably some of my favorite, although his self portraits and works done at Arles when he and Vincent van Gogh were rather unsuitable roommates - more on this relationship can be seen in the 1956 film below, Lust for Life w/ Kirk Douglas as van Gogh and Anthony Quinn as Gauguin - just a few pics below, plus one of the blu-ray disc of the film which I bought last year (superlative restoration - review HERE) - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.36.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.37.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.37.53 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.38.58 AM.png

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Jean Harlow Dies in 1937!

On this day in 1937, Jean Harlow, the original 'Blond Bombshell' and one of the most popular stars of the 1930s died unexpectedly from renal failure at the age of 26 years - story below (Source). Her most important films were made from 1931-1937, the year of her death - in fact, she died during the making of Saratoga w/ Gable and a 'double' had to be used; second quote below is a list of these '30s movies - I've seen nearly all over the years and own about a half dozen of DVD-R (burned from the TCM channel) - probably my two favorites are Red Dust w/ Gable (they made about a half dozen films together) & Dinner at Eight, a screwball comedy of the era - just a few pics below - she starred w/ many of the most popular male actors of the times and was engaged to marry William Powell when she died suddenly. Dave :)

Annex - Harlow, Jean (Riffraff)_01.jpg harlow-22222.jpg jean_harlow_and_clark_gable_by_klimbims-d7n5y0p.jpg spencer-tracy,-jean-harlow,-and-william-powell-in-situationens-herre-(1936)-large-picture.jpg

6. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    June 8, 1949:
    George Orwell's novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" (1984) is published.

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Several films of that book were made, one in 1956 w/ Edmund O'Brien (not sure that I've seen that one?), and a later one in 1984 w/ John Hurt & Richard Burton, which I remember being a good movie - probably should re-watch? Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 12.04.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.55.36 AM.png

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Frank Lloyd Wright Born Today in 1867!

Frank Lloyd Wright is considered the greatest American architect of all time - he was a 'hero' to my father who designed and built 3 houses (one in Michigan and two in Arkansas), all w/ flat horizontal features based on Wright's so-called Prairie Style - below, two beginning quotes from his Wiki bio.

Susan & I have toured his home & studio in Oak Park, Illinois (a Chicago suburb) - for me at least 2-3 times - Oak Park includes numerous other houses designed by Wright and also the Unity Temple (inside shown below - typical of Wright, the entrance is almost 'cave-like', then opens into this spectacular interior). We have also been to Falling Water (in one of my travelogues) and Taliesin West near Scottsdale, AZ, where Susan played his piano (still kept well in tune) for the tour group of several dozen. We have not been to Taliesin East in Wisconsin, so maybe a future trip? Pics below of the places mentioned - Dave :)

WrightBio.jpg OakParkHome.jpg UnityTemple.jpg FallingWater.jpg TaliesinWest.jpg TaliesinEast.jpg

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've always wanted to visit some of the Frank Lloyd Wright houses but never had the time when I was in Chicago.