On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    June 3, 2016;

Boxing legend Muhammad Ali passed away today in Scottsdale, Arizona at the age of 74. Muhammad Ali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    image.jpeg
    I know I'm a day late but this was too important to leave until next year.

#1821 scifan57, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Battle of Midway Began Today in 1942!

Just 6 months after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Admiral "Yamamoto's plan for Midway Island was an extension of his efforts to knock the U.S. Pacific Fleet out of action long enough for Japan to fortify her defensive perimeter in the Pacific island chains. Yamamoto felt it necessary to seek an early, offensive decisive battle (Source)." The result was the most important Japanese-American naval engagement in WW II - the Japanese lost four aircraft carriers and for the rest of the war remained only a 'defensive' force in the Pacific theater (see quote below - Source).

Pics below show the relationship of the Midway Islands (small atolls/isles) to Hawaii - the 4 Japanese aircraft carriers are diagrammed. There is a 1976 star-studded (Heston, Fonda, and many others) movie which is not great (I do not own the film); a much better portrayal of the naval engagement and the search for the USS Yorktown is Robert Ballard's explorations in the late 1990s (the second 'documentary'). Dave :)

MidwayHawaiiMap.png MidwayIslandsMap.jpg MidwayJapCarriersLost.jpg Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 12.51.59 PM.png

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen the Charlton Heston Midway movie, extended version. I also read about Robert Ballard discovering the wreck of the Yorktown sitting upright in 15,000 feet of water. This battle was the first big victory by the United States against the Empire of Japan.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    So, you must have seen this 'extended' version on TV, according to the quote below, i.e. 45 minutes of additional footage in 4:3 aspect ratio was shot for the television airing? That was a while back but I suspect that I would have watched it also.

I was reviewing the Midway BD which is just $8 on Amazon - the length is 2 hrs 11 mins w/ only 10 mins of the TV footage added as an extra; however, the sound has been improved - not sure if a BD version was released w/ the entire additional TV material incorporated, how the aspect ratio differences would be handled (the BD is 2.35:1)? Dave :)

P.S. Well to 'refresh' my memory, I could stream the film from Amazon for $4 or just buy the BD for $8 - probably will just make a purchase (have Prime so no shipping and will be to my house likely on Monday or Tuesday).

#1824 giradman, Jun 4, 2016
  5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    #1825 scifan57, Jun 4, 2016
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hey Scifan.. - earlier today, I was on the 'Today in History' website and saw that 1876 train statistic above - nearly 4 days and sure that the folks were amazed back then. Just over a century later (around 1990 or so) - I (and my colleague) got to ride twice (NYC to Paris & back) on the BABY below - MACH 2.04 at 60,000 ft - a mere 3 hour trip - luckily, our expenses were paid for by Siemens & GE. Dave :)
    Concorde_landing_Farnborough_Fitzgerald.jpg

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    June 5, 2004;

Ronald Reagan, after a long battle with Alzheimer's, passes away at his ranch with his wife Nancy by his side. He was buried at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California. Ronald Reagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    image.jpeg

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The same fate that befell the Crystal Palace in London. Being made of iron and glass certainly didn't stop them from burning down.

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received: