What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since the current post is on a woman physician, let me add a personal note - I married into a family of physicians, i.e. father & mother in-laws and Susan's maternal grandmother (and her younger brother), who I never met (she died a year before my first pre-marital visit to New Jersey - we would have been 'mates').

Rita Sapiro Finkler was born in Russia and attended medical school in Philadelphia graduating in 1915 - she was Susan's maternal grandmother - she was a founder of endocrinology in the state of New Jersey (and after a trip to Europe, introduced the very early Aschheim-Zondek Test for pregnancy) - in Newark, Susan first lived in her grandmother's house and remembers the mice (or maybe later the rabbits) used to perform this test - still regret not ever knowing her - she has a Wiki article (partly quoted below). Dave :)

Rita Sapiro Finkler (1888–1968) was a Ukrainian-American physician. She practiced pediatrics and gynecology in her early career, but is best known for her work as an endocrinologist. She established and directed the department of endocrinology at Newark Beth Israel Hospital in Newark, New Jersey. Ricka Sapiro was born in 1888 in Kherson, Ukraine. She attended Byra Bestow-Gersky College and enrolled at Saint Petersburg State University to study law when she was sixteen years old. She left the university after two years and travelled to the United States, where she passed through Pennsylvania to visit a relative, who persuaded her to remain in the US and attend the Woman's Medical College in Philadelphia. While studying, she met Samuel Finkler; they married in 1913 and Sapiro graduated in 1915. Rita and Samuel Finkler had a daughter, Sylvia (born in 1921) (Source).
Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 6.53.05 PM.png

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly 50 years ago, on January 27, 1967, the Outer Space Treaty was opened for signature in London, Moscow and Washinton.
It's the basis for international space law. It states that "exploration and use of outer space should be carried on for the benefit of all peoples", outer space "shall be free for exploration and use by all States" and "shall be used by all States Parties to the Treaty exclusively for peaceful purposes."
To this day, it has been ratified by 105 countries.
OUTER SPACE TREATY
Outer Space Treaty - Wikipedia

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
National Geographic Society Founded This Day in 1888

The National Geographic Society was founded today in Washington, D.C. in 1881. Some history quoted below and also a few brief statements about its remarkable first president, Gardiner Greene Hubbard. A couple pics of the Museum and Administrative Building.

Susan & I are going to D.C. in May for a 5-night vacation mainly to see some of the new museums - we've not been to the National Geographic Museum in decades, so might put that on the list. We will be staying at the historic Willard Hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue just blocks from the White House - will use the excellent Metro for transportation. Dave :)

On January 27, 1888, the National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C., for “the increase and diffusion of geographical knowledge.” The 33 men who originally met and formed the National Geographic Society were a diverse group of geographers, explorers, teachers, lawyers, cartographers, military officers and financiers. All shared an interest in scientific and geographical knowledge, as well as an opinion that in a time of discovery, invention, change and mass communication, Americans were becoming more curious about the world around them. With this in mind, the men drafted a constitution and elected as the Society’s president a lawyer and philanthropist named Gardiner Greene Hubbard. Neither a scientist nor a geographer, Hubbard represented the Society’s desire to reach out to the layman (Source).

The Society used its revenues from the magazine to sponsor expeditions and research projects that furthered humanity’s understanding of natural phenomena. In this role, the National Geographic Society has been instrumental in making possible some of the great achievements in exploration and science. To date, it has given out more than 1,400 grants, funding that helped Robert Peary journey to the North Pole, Richard Byrd fly over the South Pole, Jacques Cousteau delve into the sea and Jane Goodall observe wild chimpanzees, among many other projects (Source).

Gardiner Greene Hubbard (1822–1897) was an American lawyer, financier, and philanthropist. He was the first president of the National Geographic Society and one of the founders of and the first president of the Bell Telephone Company which later evolved into AT&T, at times the world's largest telephone company. One of his daughters, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard, also became the wife of Alexander Graham Bell (Source).
NG_AdminBldg.png
NG_Museum.png
NG_Willard.png

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
International Holocaust Remembrance Day - January 27

Today is the annual commemoration day for the WW II Holocaust - designated as the day that the Auschwitz concentration camp was liberated - quote below from the US Holocaust Museum - one of my favorite films about this horrific period is Schindler's List - I own the 20th anniversary blu-ray edition shown below - worth a re-watch and recommended to those who certainly have not seen this dramatic portrayal - directed by Steven Spielberg; music by John Williams see second quote below from previous link - nominated for 12 Oscars, and winner of 7, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Film Score for Williams. Dave :)

The United Nations General Assembly designated January 27—the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau—as International Holocaust Remembrance Day. On this annual day of commemoration, the UN urges every member state to honor the victims of the Nazi era and to develop educational programs to help prevent future genocides.

John Williams, who frequently collaborates with Spielberg, composed the score for Schindler's List. The composer was amazed by the film, and felt it would be too challenging. He said to Spielberg, "You need a better composer than I am for this film." Spielberg responded, "I know. But they're all dead!" Itzhak Perlman performs the theme on the violin.
Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 12.22.49 PM.png
71-ogiTX7xL._SX342_.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
International Holocaust Remembrance Day - January 27

Today is the annual commemoration day for the WW II Holocaust - designated as the day that the Auschwitz concentration camp was liberated - quote below from the US Holocaust Museum - one of my favorite films about this horrific period is Schindler's List - I own the 20th anniversary blu-ray edition shown below - worth a re-watch and recommended to those who certainly have not seen this dramatic portrayal - directed by Steven Spielberg; music by John Williams see second quote below from previous link - nominated for 12 Oscars, and winner of 7, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Film Score for Williams. Dave :)

View attachment 75802 View attachment 75803
As well as the iTunes version of Schindler's List I also own the Laserdisc version. It was one of the last major motion pictures to be filmed in black and white.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mozart was born on January 27th 1756.
Arguably the greatest composer that ever lived.

Certainly one of my favorite composers - just checked my classical music database and have about 240 CDs of Wolfie's music - now according to the Köchel catalogue, there are approximately 626 works listed, AND I do own many of them, but for certain genres, I have multiple sets (and even w/i these sets period vs. modern instrument performances) - in particular, these include, the Piano Sonatas, Piano Concertos, Symphonies, String Quartets, Horn & Clarinet Works, and Violin Sonatas & Concertos - the main 'missing' genre in my collection are his operas (which are considered great but Susan & I just are not into opera, sorry for lovers of these works!) - Dave :)

P.S. Now, Mozart is actually the third composer regarding number of classical CDs that I own - JS Bach & Joseph Haydn take the number 1 & 2 spots - :cool:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly one of my favorite composers - just checked my classical music database and have about 240 CDs of Wolfie's music - now according to the Köchel catalogue, there are approximately 626 works listed, AND I do own many of them, but for certain genres, I have multiple sets (and even w/i these sets period vs. modern instrument performances) - in particular, these include, the Piano Sonatas, Piano Concertos, Symphonies, String Quartets, Horn & Clarinet Works, and Violin Sonatas & Concertos - the main 'missing' genre in my collection are his operas (which are considered great but Susan & I just are not into opera, sorry for lovers of these works!) - Dave :)

P.S. Now, Mozart is actually the third composer regarding number of classical CDs that I own - JS Bach & Joseph Haydn take the number 1 & 2 spots - :cool:
I too am not into Opera although having said that I love the overtures to Mozart's Operas and have a CD just of those.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I too am not into Opera although having said that I love the overtures to Mozart's Operas and have a CD just of those.

Agree - my only 2 opera CDs are overtures by Mozart & Verdi - that's all that I can take - :D

To celebrate Wolfie's birthday, I'm devoting this weekend to a dozen or so discs of the many that I own of his works - in general, my favorite genre is chamber music of all sorts but w/ a strong LIKE for winds - so, now listening to the three CDs below - two on the right w/ period instruments - Ab Koster on a valveless natural horn is an amazing listening experience! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 1.31.33 PM.png

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree - my only 2 opera CDs are overtures by Mozart & Verdi - that's all that I can take - :D

To celebrate Wolfie's birthday, I'm devoting this weekend to a dozen or so discs of the many that I own of his works - in general, my favorite genre is chamber music of all sorts but w/ a strong LIKE for winds - so, now listening to the three CDs below - two on the right w/ period instruments - Ab Koster on a valveless natural horn is an amazing listening experience! Dave :)
View attachment 75815
I should go through mine again....Eine Kleine Nachtmusik has always been a favourite :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I should go through mine again....Eine Kleine Nachtmusik has always been a favourite :)

Well, you've picked a favorite of mine also - :) NOW, if you're really into Mozart's Serenades & Divertimenti, then the 10-CD set shown below w/ Sandor Vegh (and a Salzburg orchestra) is hard to beat and just $30 on Amazon USA - a lot of Wolfie's juvenilia, but many of his juvenile compositions would equate to other's masterpieces - tomorrow, some more Mozart wind music on period instruments, another inexpensive package (below, right) - Dave :)

OK - will stop hijacking this thread - my next post will get back on topic - sorry for the interruption but enamored w/ this wind music. :cool:
Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 2.38.12 PM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Challenger Disaster This Day in 1986 - :(

This is an event that I remember my exact location - Susan & I (and our son) were on St. Thomas at my departmental's 'Winter Meeting' - the three of us saw the disaster on TV in the hotel room and were completely shocked - still remember standing there staring at each other - Dave :)

At 11:38 a.m. EST, on January 28, 1986, the space shuttle Challenger lifts off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, and Christa McAuliffe is on her way to becoming the first ordinary U.S. civilian to travel into space. McAuliffe, a 37-year-old high school social studies teacher from New Hampshire, won a competition that earned her a place among the seven-member crew of the Challenger. She underwent months of shuttle training but then, beginning January 23, was forced to wait six long days as the Challenger‘s launch countdown was repeatedly delayed because of weather and technical problems. Finally, on January 28, the shuttle lifted off (Source).

In the aftermath of the disaster, President Ronald Reagan appointed a special commission to determine what went wrong with Challenger and to develop future corrective measures. The presidential commission was headed by former secretary of state William Rogers, and included Neil Armstrong and Chuck Yeager. The investigation determined that the disaster was caused by the failure of an “O-ring” seal in one of the two solid-fuel rockets. The elastic O-ring did not respond as expected because of the cold temperature at launch time, which began a chain of events that resulted in the massive loss. As a result, NASA did not send astronauts into space for more than two years as it redesigned a number of features of the space shuttle (Source).
Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 5.21.29 PM.png
challenger-explosion.jpg

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you've picked a favorite of mine also - :) NOW, if you're really into Mozart's Serenades & Divertimenti, then the 10-CD set shown below w/ Sandor Vegh (and a Salzburg orchestra) is hard to beat and just $30 on Amazon USA - a lot of Wolfie's juvenilia, but many of his juvenile compositions would equate to other's masterpieces - tomorrow, some more Mozart wind music on period instruments, another inexpensive package (below, right) - Dave :)

OK - will stop hijacking this thread - my next post will get back on topic - sorry for the interruption but enamored w/ this wind music. :cool:
View attachment 75816

View attachment 75816
Thanks Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts