What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the road and off it too.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ice Road Truckers...

Stay tuned. ;)

So long as there's interest, I'll keep posting here. I have some pictures I haven't posted yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing some color for a few months now though.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a sequence I shot a couple of weeks ago. This road is not open to the general public. There is a gate to keep people out because its on a caribou migratory route. Didn't see anyone else up there other than these deer.

image-430743927.jpg

image-3807520967.jpg

image-2762221084.jpg

image-689026604.jpg

image-2384869418.jpg

image-1730243519.jpg

image-1211150630.jpg

image-950374512.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like that last one was trying to outrun you until it darted off to the side.

dianne137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you shooting with your ipad? I need to practise with mine as I find it awkward .I still prefer my real camera.Not a good idea under the conditions you are in. You must have your ipad sitting on the dash board?

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you shooting with your ipad? I need to practise with mine as I find it awkward .I still prefer my real camera.Not a good idea under the conditions you are in. You must have your ipad sitting on the dash board?

Using the iPad as a camera would be an interesting thread, Dianne.

Bobbi

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What does that mean... Winter roads? And why do they close?

Bobbi

Winter roads exist in northern Canada, Alaska, and other countries where they cross frozen ground that's too soft to support a road during the summer months. The term also refers to the ice roads on frozen lakes and rivers. Ice roads close when the ice is no longer thick and strong enough to support the loaded trucks that use them. Land based winter roads close when the temperature rises enough for the ground to begin thawing.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

No, all of the photographs I post are taken with my iPhone 4. I have posted video shot with the iPad. Some examples can be found in the "Post your favorite YouTube videos" thread. I duct tape the iPad to the windshield to accomplish this.

What does that mean... Winter roads? And why do they close?

Bobbi

Scifan hit the nail on the head with his reply.

Winter roads exist in northern Canada, Alaska, and other countries where they cross frozen ground that's too soft to support a road during the summer months. The term also refers to the ice roads on frozen lakes and rivers. Ice roads close when the ice is no longer thick and strong enough to support the loaded trucks that use them. Land based winter roads close when the temperature rises enough for the ground to begin thawing.

Some of these roads are made stronger and longer lasting by flooding the ground with water. This process, called "icing-in", can buy a couple of weeks extra, and allow fully laden vehicles to travel without damage or risk of sinking.

The ground under most of these roads is called "muskeg" and is basically swamp.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know the TV series "Ice Road Truckers", or is it just shown here in Europe?

It shows activities of drivers who operate trucks on seasonal routes crossing frozen lakes and rivers in Canada and Alaska.

Is that part of the work you do?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know the TV series "Ice Road Truckers", or is it just shown here in Europe?

It shows activities of drivers who operate trucks on seasonal routes crossing frozen lakes and rivers in Canada and Alaska.

It's shown here in Canada.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I wonder if I've attached this photo correctly.Taken this day of sunshine with my ipad3 .I'm supposed to be working so will read up on making a new thread later.

It looks correct.

Last edited:

Most reactions