What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the road and off it too.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Survived that one. Here's some photographs.

image-1101373628.jpg

image-2421136036.jpg

image-1753582446.jpg

image-966047592.jpg

image-2141267654.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Beautiful. With that lake on the left and the icy track, that road doesn't look very forgiving.

AA

It's not, hence the chains. 12% grade down to a single lane bridge, then a 12% grade up to a hairpin bend. Rinse and repeat.

By the way, that's not a lake. That's an inlet that leads out to the Pacific Ocean. This is a long trip.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
KevinJS said:
It's not, hence the chains. 12% grade down to a single lane bridge, then a 12% grade up to a hairpin bend. Rinse and repeat.

By the way, that's not a lake. That's an inlet that leads out to the Pacific Ocean. This is a long trip.

Oh! I didn't realize you were that far out. Are you crossing the frontier into Alaska?

AA

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great photos, Kevin!
Which inlet is in your photos, Kevin? I've sailed up and down the inside passage to and from Alaska several times. The view is even better from the water.

Last edited:
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. I'm quite a ways south of Alaska.

Some of our products end up in Alaska. I've seen them on the rare occasions I watch Ice Road Truckers. They are transported there by different means, however. Probably purchased from one of the industrial supply companies that we sell to.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Which inlet is in your photos, Kevin? I've sailed up and down the inside passage to and from Alaska several times. The view is even better from the water.

I'll figure it out, scifan.

It's Kitimat Arm.

image-873736395.jpg

The road I was on is visible on the left side of the screenshot. The industrial complex is Alcan.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kevin, you're a brave man.. I always avoided driving in those conditions.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ardchoille said:
Kevin, you're a brave man.. I always avoided driving in those conditions.

Well, thanks for saying so. I started trucking in England 28 years ago. I spent the first year or so scared to death, wondering what on earth I'd done. I distinctly remember thinking, as I was sitting in an ancient wreck of a Ford 17 tonner, "I don't suppose I'll ever be good enough at this to drive a semi."

Since then, I've hit at least half of the countries in Europe, as far out as Kiev and Sebastopol, a bit of North Africa, including the city of Fez, the oldest city in Africa, and driven the 7 western states, all over BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, NWT and Yukon.

I have one ambition left, and that is to drive north of the Arctic Circle. I've come close but not managed it yet. It would be good to get to Fairbanks too. The closest I've come to Alaska is a point on BC's Highway 37 near Stewart, about 30 miles from Hyder, AK.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
KevinJS said:
Well, thanks for saying so. I started trucking in England 28 years ago. I spent the first year or so scared to death, wondering what on earth I'd done. I distinctly remember thinking, as I was sitting in an ancient wreck of a Ford 17 tonner, "I don't suppose I'll ever be good enough at this to drive a semi."

Since then, I've hit at least half of the countries in Europe, as far out as Kiev and Sebastopol, a bit of North Africa, including the city of Fez, the oldest city in Africa, and driven the 7 western states, all over BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, NWT and Yukon.

I have one ambition left, and that is to drive north of the Arctic Circle. I've come close but not managed it yet. It would be good to get to Fairbanks too. The closest I've come to Alaska is a point on BC's Highway 37 near Stewart, about 30 miles from Hyder, AK.

The open road is the landlubber's ocean.
Good sailing tonight.

Goodnight from eastern Canada.

AA

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
The open road is the landlubber's ocean.
Good sailing tonight.

Goodnight from eastern Canada.

AA

Catch you later, AA.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Vicious conditions between Prince George and Chetwynd. Temperature was high enough to make the road surface very slick. I swear the truck was going sideways at one point. Not very useful at 50 tonnes. Colder now so it's getting a bit better. Stoked up on coffee for the last 100 km. still snowing. Hope I can make Wabi and East Pine without chaining up. Here goes.

Most reactions

Latest posts