What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the road and off it too.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Aha...very nice, Kevin. Might you want to do something like this on iPhones if its relevant there?

Unfortunately, it isn't. The app is only for the iPad. There is another version for the iPhone, but I don't have it, because it chews through data very quickly. I set up my maps and waypoints ahead of time while I have wifi, then use them offline.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it isn't. The app is only for the iPad. There is another version for the iPhone, but I don't have it, because it chews through data very quickly. I set up my maps and waypoints ahead of time while I have wifi, then use them offline.

Oh too bad...but still, this is a very good review here for our iPad members!! Nicely done, Kevin! :)

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Ski. I hope people find it useful.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:

I hope I do, I just downloaded it. Thanks for letting us know about it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I'm glad to see a review from someone who has been using the app extensively. My experience is long term, but very light on actual use.

The MotionX GPS apps were some of the earliest GPS apps available for the iPad. They've done nothing but improve all that time.

The MotionX GPS HD is one the most versatile apps out there. This is the app to get if you are not sure what kind of GPS app you want. It will do a little of everything.

The GPS Drive and Drive HD versions have more tools for driving, but are less versatile in almost every other aspect. The Drive versions also have fewer map options, currently being limited to the native Apple map solution, which is an ouch for now. Some of the advanced features require an in-app purchase.

I've been using them both on and off (casually) since the iPad 1. I keep them around, on both iPhone and iPad, as a second line of defense when my more targeted apps (and the native app) don't do what I want.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The downside to this app is that there is no turn by turn directions, but where it scores for me is being able to switch mapping types at the push of a button.

Most of what I call roads are nothing of the sort, and its good to be able to plan how you are going to get into a place, when you might have to unlock a couple of farm gates, and drive through a field full of cows, which is exactly what happened in this case.

image-4288428739.jpg

When you look at this one, logic tell you that you are going in from the south, and a road map will show you that, but the road is a goat trail with grass growing up the middle. The actual way in is from the east, but if you were unfamiliar with the area, you would take one look at it and go home. MotionX gives local knowledge to noobs.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. I just finished writing a couple of semi-facetious posts about the working conditions of Foxconn workers, so I think it only fair to show you around my "accommodation".

I spend 24 hours a day in this thing, so we have become quite intimately attached.

First off, here's the business end.

image-1943626382.jpg

If that's not enough gauges, here's a few more.

image-1898571906.jpg

And for the times I'm not howling down the road at 60 mph, there's my other seat. I suppose you could call it the lounge.

image-4177096926.jpg

As you can see, it gets used as a dumping ground for everything I'm not using.

Through the curtain is my bedroom.

image-2069869084.jpg

Some things are private, so I'm not taking you in there.

Finally, it's always handy to have a kitchen, so I'm careful where I park. There's no room in here so Tim Hortons comes in quite handy.

image-3849261028.jpg

So there you have it. There's more room in a prison cell, but you get used to it after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's a Freightliner, excellent rig - I learned to drive in a Peterbuilt.

Beautiful surroundings, wish I could still be out there. I used to look forward to finding a Stuckey's.

Love the chainsaw carvings, had no ideas one could get that precise with a chainsaw.

Last edited:
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Me neither. I was hoping to get to Chetwynd this year to see the carvers in action, but I missed. Maybe next year. If I manage it, I'll send some pix of the work in progress.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess it's similar to chainsaw ice carving. I had the chance to watch a carver once, she handled the saw like a surgeon would handle a scalpel and turned out some beautiful works.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just the sheer number of those gauges is fantastic, Kevin. And here I am still learning what to tap on my iPad. I reckon if you ever get sick of driving, you would be well on the way to piloting a Boing 747. Stay safe!
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The OB said:
Just the sheer number of those gauges is fantastic, Kevin. And here I am still learning what to tap on my iPaddde31. I reckon if you ever get sick of driving, you would be well on the way to piloting a Boing 747. Stay safe!
Regards, Andrewddc28

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, there is no gauge to tell me not to be so stupid. Just about to head up here for 10 kilometers. Trailer is dumped, chains are on, wish me luck.

image-4278142270.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts