What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On-screen Keyboard

RayB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So does anyone know what the purpose is for the on-screen keyboard key in the bottom-right corner? Could it be to display alternate keyboards, like a "dates" keyboard?
:confused:

Attachments

• Ipad Keyboard3.jpg
    Ipad Keyboard3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,015

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That seems most likely, I don't see any other way of bring up speclized keyboards. Although wasn't such keyboard switching shown off in the keynote section about Numbers?

OP
RayB

RayB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although wasn't such keyboard switching shown off in the keynote section about Numbers?

I haven't checked the actually content of the keynote, but it appears from the screenshot below that Numbers does have that type of on-screen keyboard switching available.

The entry bar icons seem to suggest that the user can switch among a text, date, numeric, and possibly a formula keyboard.

Attachments

• iworknumbers.jpg
    iworknumbers.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 608

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Minimize Keyboard for better full screen view

The graphic on the key looks more to me, to be showing that tapping this key will lower the keypad away from the screen to allow full screen viewing.

:ipad-keyboard:

Its actually annoying to say the least when your using an iPhone and the app developer did not think that while inputing data in the app, you may want to sometimes reduce/minimize the keyboard to take a look at the screen as it was before the data keyboard came up.
Some times the only way around this is to enter your text and hope the keyboard goes away, then tap another input dialogue box to bring the keyboard up again for more data input. Other times it never leaves at all until all data is accepted by the app, sometimes not even then, leaving a small sliver of the actual app in the background appear between menu bars and keyboard.

Jaadu VNC has a nice way to deal with this... Three fingers swipe up the screen to remove menu bars and three fingers swipe down the screen slides the keyboard from view. But its always there when you want or need it again.

UPDATE: I just went into my iPad simulator from the SDK and tested this theory. Yes, that is the purpose of the button. It minimizes the keyboard to allow you to look behind it and to see full screen.
Tapping back onto any input box within the app allows the keyboard to slide back up again ready for data input. ;)

Last edited:
OP
RayB

RayB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for your post Abble(censored).

One more keyboard question: I notice that on the numeric keyboard there is both an UNDO key as well as a backspace key.

What's the difference?

Will the UNDO key just cancel the entire keyboard session?

Attachments

• iPad Keyboard4.jpg
    iPad Keyboard4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,612

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The UNDO button

Tapping the UNDO button on the keypad = removes all characters last typed either in a search window or data entry window.

So if I was to type www.http://12345%#@@!
Tapping UNDO would clear the entire line, just as the small x does at the end of the entry window.

The UNDO key is actually only displayed after you tap the .?123 button on the main keyboard.

Hope this helps ;)

JoanMilke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So does anyone know what the purpose is for the on-screen keyboard key in the bottom-right corner? Could it be to display alternate keyboards, like a "dates" keyboard?
If you are talking about the miniature keyboard in the lower right hand corner of the on-screen keyboard, it's to dismiss the keyboard.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes now that we all have ipad's we know that. When this was originally posted the iPad was not yet released. ;)

tjb459

iPF Noob
Reaction score
onscreen keyboard

right bottom corner key when touched hides the keyboard.
I can't find anything that would do the "BACKSPACE" movingg curser to the right--do you know???

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Backspace moves the cursor to the left,not the right,and is the button at the top right of the keyboard.It's the space bar that moves the cursor to the right.

Obermiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad virtual keyboard

I hate the virtual keyboard because it does not have the arrow keys. However when I log into remote computers sometimes a third keyboard is available with the arrow keys and a few others that are missing. Can anyone help me change to that keyboard all the time?

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Obermiller said:
I hate the virtual keyboard because it does not have the arrow keys. However when I log into remote computers sometimes a third keyboard is available with the arrow keys and a few others that are missing. Can anyone help me change to that keyboard all the time?

Most apps that support typing have their own keyboard which replaces the apple keyboard for that session , and have extra keys - like arrows,
See example from a typing app i use

image-4213986191.jpg

One day apple might give us more keys like arrows!

Most reactions

Latest posts