What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

on/off button doesn't work

ceedog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody else experience a problem with the on/off button not functioning? I can't turn my iPad off. I can turn it on with the home button but have to wait until it turns itself off. This also means I cannot reset if there is a problem. Any advice (besides going to an Apple Store. I'm in Spain at the moment).

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually the iPad is turned of by pressing the Power button for 4-5sec, not the Home button.

Is this a simple confusion? Otherwise you would have to visit an Apple Store and let them fix it.

I think he means that he can't turn it off with the Power button but that, once it's in Sleep mode with the Autolock timer, he can turn it on again with the Home button. So, as he says, he can't reset - or even do a power-off/power-on reset or reboot...

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!!

I love this Forum - so many great ideas...and --- the sun is shining again in Scotland...

Tim

OP
C

ceedog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Tim--> exactly!
@DUMiPad --> thanks, I'll see if I can do that. Apple Store isn't an option until I return to US in June.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
If that is the case, a jb would be in order.

SBsettings let's you reboot the device without using any hardware keys.

Won't be able to get it into DFU mode to jailbreak it I'm afraid. Apple will help you. Take it back...

OP
C

ceedog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
I am pretty sure, you can visit just about any AppleStore in the world and ask them for a replacement.

No Apple Stores in Seville, or in Berlin where I'll be heading next. I should be good until June. When I'm back in the US it'll be easier to deal with.
Thanks All!

Reaction score
There is a Gravis store in Berlin. Gravis is the official Apple retail seller in Germany, but they might not replace the iPad, if it was bought from somewhere else. It might be worthwhile asking though.

Last edited:

marykrys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the difference between the home button and the power button? Are they both hard buttons or is one on the screen?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the home button and the power button? Are they both hard buttons or is one on the screen?

The home button is the button on the front of the iPad underneath the screen.
The power button is the button on top of the iPad which turns it on and off

These are the only 2 buttons on the iPad. Hope that helps.

INMY01TA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happened to my Ipad2 this afternoon. After banging the Ipad on my knee a few times on the back near the switch it started working again. A little history here, i had a problem with the volume down button not working a while ago. Quit working for like a couple months, then just started working again.

Most reactions

Latest posts