What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old man needs help.

Richard5421

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Air 2, 4 yrs. old, bought at Apple store. Running iOS 12.1
Doesn’t know it’s charged 100%. Always plugged in, set it down
For 2-3 hours, tap on and get Red Battery Charge on screen.
Play with Chg. Cord (in/out) enough times & it wakes up to Apple
On screen than passcode login. Runs fine after that. This behavior
Has been for the last 15-18;months. Will new battery & not always
Plugged in cure problem?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It really isn’t a good idea to leave an IPad or any device with a lithium ion battery plugged in all the time. Nor should you let it run flat if you can help it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn‘t really matter how long you keep your iPad connected to a charger:
About iPad Charge Management Feature

Did you try force starting your device? Press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. As soon as you see it, let go of both buttons. Your iPad will power up on it‘s own.
This might help, if your problem is caused by software.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad Air 2, 4 yrs. old, bought at Apple store. Running iOS 12.1..........Will new battery & not always.........Plugged in cure problem?

Hi Richard - welcome to the forum! :) Let us know if the 'reboot' helps? Also, do you own a computer and use iTunes - if so an Apple or PC?

Your battery needs to be checked, specifically its 'Cycle Count' and 'Health' (i.e. the amount of charge the battery can now hold vs. the original design capacity) - if you have an Apple computer, the free app called Coconut Battery will provide those values.

I also have an Air 2 w/ a 'dying' battery which I check w/ this app - below from their website, the stats on an iOS device - cycle count = 284 (an iPad should easily last to 500+ cycle counts and retain a high battery health); battery health = 92.7% (i.e. 1506/1624 mAh) which is excellent - now, if you do not have an Apple computer, then a visit to an Apple store or even an online chat can be done (I've had my batteries on two devices checked online over the years - more details HERE) - good luck. Dave
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 11.22.49 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts