1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Okay, did Apple sell me out?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by epb, May 18, 2010.

1. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Years ago when I joined my ISP, they gave you the option of up to 5 e-mail addresses. Though I've only used one, I setup all five, swiping all the variants of mine name and initials that were still available. The only mail these addresses ever got was service alerts from AT&T. With the iPad, I set two of the accounts to use the e-mail app and now I'm seeing spam. Has anyone else noticed this?
  2. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Nothing here like that. As far as I know the email app does not really have spam filters, so everything get through. So perhaps the email software on your computer filters them and you just don't see them? Just the first thing I could think of that might be a reason....
  3. Brad Groux

Brad Groux iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The mail app doesn't transfer any data anywhere. The addresses you enter in stay on your iPad and your iPad alone, just like with smart phones, notebooks and comptuters. If you are using an ISP email address that is your problem, as most of them don't offer great spam filters. All it takes is your email address to get picked up by one spam bot and it can be forwarded on to thousands of them.
  4. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +427 / 0
    It may sound a round about method however I would suggest setting up a gmail account and then forward all your mail to gmail then have the Apple mail App receive the gmail account. Gmail has the best spam filter I have seen and is perfect for both ipads and iphones. Since I set up gmail i have not had one spam get pass.
    Col
  5. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    If you have your own domain then you might want to use a 3rd party cloud service for you email hosting and anti-spam, anti-virus services. I would use App River as they do exchange hosting as well.
  6. USBill

USBill iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Another vote for gmail spam filter. My unused Comcast address gets more spam.

Well, actually not... Just more than my gmail inbox. The gmail spam folder is always full, but I don't see it unless I go dumpster diving.
  7. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I don't think it's my spam filtering. I was wondering if it was related to my giving the e-mail addresses to Apple. I used one of them for my iTunes account, the other for the Apple store reservation. I wasn't suggesting the iPad itself was leaking them...
  8. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have all my mail forwarded to my gmail account....it saves them forever filters spam and allows me to send and receive email from all my addresses in one place.
  9. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +427 / 0
    I totally agree as I stated above Gmail acts like a bus station for all addreses blocking spam and easy to access from apple mail or gmail apps