What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh darn no! My A1496 WiFi only iPad3 has no GPS

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ths was a huge booboo. I have a few expensive Apps that rely on being able to source a reasonably accurate location such as Astronomy and Offroad Tracking when in use I updated to a new iPad for the benefits of the Retina screen but now I have discovered the error on GPS data not being present when I'm away from any WiFi so I guess it will have to be update again... What annoys me a bit is that the guy on the counter at the depart store chain I bought my new iPad3 from never pointed out this small vagary when I specifically discussed it. My fault for not buying from an Apple Store where personnel are fully on to it...

So because my GPS Apps are toast at the moment I might as well aim for the top and replace this iPad3 with top of the line 128GB iPad4. It means I will now need to carry around 2 chargers, the 30pin for the iPhone but worse, finding $1400 (New Zealand Dollars) having already spent a wedge on this iPad3...

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That certainly is a pain. I have never used a data plan on my iPad 2 but find the GPS capability invaluable. Well worth the extra $130 (Canadian).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why not get a blue tooth GPS receiver to use with your wifi iPad? Works just as well as a built in GPS and is a lot cheaper. Unless you just want that 128 GB iPad 4. :)

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not get a blue tooth GPS receiver to use with your wifi iPad? Works just as well as a built in GPS and is a lot cheaper. Unless you just want that 128 GB iPad 4. :)

Haha, you have it in one! I always look for excuses to up the reason to own another Apple gadget, (anything for that matter)... In all honesty I have almost maxed out the 64GB iPad 3 I have with everything from a few movies to huge .pdf documents of service manuals for the kinds of electronics I repair in my daily job as a technician (gear like TV News cameras ... The Pana HPX3100, 900 & 800 to 1000s of component data sheets and of course my Offroader (avatar) repair manuals.....! I just have to be careful Apple don't have another iPad in the waiting which will do things I simply have to have, a month after buying the current top model one!

ogilley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a Bluetooth GPS. Simple, pretty cheap and fairly seamless. Unless, of course, you just want an iPad 4. Stay tuned into this forum and do your research here if you don't live near an Apple store and figure out what you need before you buy. I have saved a bundle by getting great advice here.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
" I just have to be careful Apple don't have another iPad in the waiting which will do things I simply have to have, a month after buying the current top model one!"

They do have a new replacement in the wings. Don't be in a rush.

Most reactions

Latest posts