What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@wither best of all... Read the first post, it will be updated within minutes of the jailbreak being released

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please do us all a favor and READ the post a couple of posts above this one (#561). It states which devices will be jail broken.

Marilyn
Actually, Marilyn, the first post in this thread isn't fully up-to-date anymore. It does not reflect that an iPad 2 can indeed be downgraded from 5.1.1 then jailbroken at the 5.0.1 level with the new Redsn0w tool (if they saved their 5.0.x SHSH blobs with TU or were ever JBen at 5.0.x where Cydia would have auto saved the blobs).

I realize this affects a very small group of people, ones that accidentally upgraded to 5.1 or 5.1.1 or had to restore for some other reason, but post #1 in this thread is usually so accurate.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, pianoman, and you are right.

I've updated the first post to reflect the fact that iPad2 owners on iOS 5.1 or 5.1.1 can now downgrade to iOS 5.0.1 - IF they have saved SHSH blobs.

Marilyn

timboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Latest update from Pod's Blog;

TUESDAY, MAY 15, 2012

List of tested devices for the upcoming 5.1.1 jailbreak
Here is the list of devices that are known to work for sure :
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPad 1
iPad 2 Wifi
iPad 3 Wifi
iPad 3 CDMA
iPod 3G
iPod 4G
Here is the list of devices that won't be supported :
AppleTV 3
Remains to test (but that should work) :
iPhone 3Gs
iPad 2 GSM
iPad 2 CDMA
iPad 2 Wifi, R2
iPad 3 Global
AppleTV 2
[updated May 18th 2012, 11:35 GMT]

Roll on the Jailbreak!

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

since it seems that a new jailbreak is about to come out, there is a brand new issue for people like me that have applied the jailbreak for the first time with the last version.

What is the suggested strategy in order to upgrade the standard OS and then apply the new jailbreak again? Have I got to uninstall all the applications that work only with the jail broken iPad or I can simply upgrade the OS and apply the new jailbreak following its recipe?

When applying the new official upgrade I understand that all the Cydia applications simply will not work but, for instance, the presence of "common" applications like "SB" will cause the new OS to hang or it will run smoothly simply ignoring the "offending" software? Shall the official OS corrupt the Cydia Applications?

Between the two extreme options (removing all the Cydia software before upgrading the official OS and leave all the Cydia software hoping the the new jailbreak shall work seamless) is there any wise advice that the senior moderators of this forum can give us?

Thanks in advance!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

since it seems that a new jailbreak is about to come out, there is a brand new issue for people like me that have applied the jailbreak for the first time with the last version.

What is the suggested strategy in order to upgrade the standard OS and then apply the new jailbreak again? Have I got to uninstall all the applications that work only with the jail broken iPad or I can simply upgrade the OS and apply the new jailbreak following its recipe?

When applying the new official upgrade I understand that all the Cydia applications simply will not work but, for instance, the presence of "common" applications like "SB" will cause the new OS to hang or it will run smoothly simply ignoring the "offending" software? Shall the official OS corrupt the Cydia Applications?

Between the two extreme options (removing all the Cydia software before upgrading the official OS and leave all the Cydia software hoping the the new jailbreak shall work seamless) is there any wise advice that the senior moderators of this forum can give us?

Thanks in advance!

I write the below with the assumption that the upcoming jail break will be for iOS 5.1.1. If that is not what the new tool will jail break - I will come back and edit this post.

With that said, here's what you should do when the new jail break is released (note that this is what I will do):

1) Follow the steps outlined in this sticky/tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=52863

This will put iOS 5.1.1 on your iPad and remove all jailbroken software. Your iPad will then be stock. Do note that if your iPad is not jail broken (for example, you have an iPad3), then you won't have to do this step - you'll just have to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1. The previous jail break will not affect this step because you are putting brand new software on it - all the old stuff will be wiped.

2) Now that your iPad has a fresh, and stock, iOS 5.1.1 on it, run the just-released jail break tool. I can't tell you how or what else you will have to do here as the tool is not released.

3) Done!

After the iPad is jail broken on iOS 5.1.1, you can go back to Cydia, if you had it jailbroken before, and get all your tweaks and such reinstalled. Cydia is like the App Store in that you own a tweak forever once you've purchased it.

If you backed up your previously jail broken iPad's Cydia tweaks with something like PKGBackup, you would download it from Cydia as your first download and then run a restore.

And that's it. The length of time to get your newly jail broken iPad up and running will mostly depend on the number of apps you have installed on it. Because it will take time to transfer everything from iTunes to the iPad.

Should be a very simple process. Of course, there may be bugs or issues. In that case, we are, as always, here to help.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do exactly the steps Marilyn outlines - but keep in mind that with every new jailbreak there can be some to many of your Cydia tweaks that aren't updated for the new iOS version + jailbreak. So - if you simply restore all your saved Cydia stuff from a PKGBkup save - it could introduce instabilities. I know it has for me - though - this is a more common problem from major iOS updates like version 4 to 5 or the upcoming 5-6. Usually a 5.0.1 - 5.1.1 change doesn't affect that much - but be forewarned of the potential.

So what I usually do is use each new jailbreak to be a time for spring cleaning of Cydia Tweaks.

I keep a copy of my var/stash/themes folder on the desktop of my computer since I have a lot of theme tweaks I don't want to lose.

Then I keep a NotePad file of all my Cydia Apps I've ever bought. And I cross out ones I don't want and then only load stuff back that I want after I've checked for compatibility with the new iOS version.

So for me a rejailbreak day takes about - a day's worth of time to get it all back checking Cydia app compatibility with the new iOS.

So I think the term "easy" is an oversimplification - but the steps Marilyn listed are indeed what we all need to go thru.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for the clear, concise and complete instructions! I do hope, like many of you, to use them soon ;-)

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pod2g's latest update indicates the jailbreak will be with us within "days". Great news :D

timboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah. Awesome news. I lost my previous Jailbreak around a month ago. Long story but I only have a Blob for 5.1. Pod2g is the man and of course respect to others who have made his task easier. This is gonna be soooo worth waiting for.

smokey79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mentions at pod2g blog....we can upgrade now to 5.1.1 to be ready when jaibreak is released

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
musclenerd has also confirmed that "Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence".... :D

Even better news, the jailbreak will be a tripple play - Absinthe, redsn0w, and CLI, so you will be able to use the method you are most comfortable with. If I were a betting man, I would expect the order of release to be Absinthe, CLI, and redn0w... ;)

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hints by @i0n1c suggest that the 5.1.1 jailbreak might roll out this Friday during the HITB talk of the Dream Team. That is, of course, just theatrical timing though.

Downloaded the firmware updates to the computer but not going to update until release day. I have too many tweaks I don't want to live without. So, I wait.

Also, based on pod2g's blog, the 3rd generation Apple TV will not be supported by this jailbreak. Apparently they've yet to find an exploit for it.

*EDIT*

Here's a copy of the blog post for anyone too lazy to google pod2g.

@MuscleNerd wrote a quick sheet about the upcoming tools.

I won't rephrase him, so here are the contents of the file at the time of writing :

* All info below is tentative and subject to last minute refinements
* @pod2g's 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
- the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 and iPhone2,1
- @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
* The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
* Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI "cinject" binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
- timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
* For those wishing to donate, we've set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: paypal
* Please don't pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).

~pod2g

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts