What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPad

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It should be. Have a look at Settings/General/Software Update. I just checked and it's available for the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4.

omiez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the JB is working I updated to 6.1.2. So why not?

Sent from my iPad 64Gb JB 5.1.1 using iPF

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this a full firmware I.e can I update from 5.1.1 to 6.1.2 with this or will it only work for updates from 6.1

All the links in this thread are full firmware files.

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the links in this thread are full firmware files.

Thanks.
Now if I have a device on 6.1 without jailbreak yet and I want to update to 6.1.2 and then jailbreak what is the best way to update ? Via iTunes or OTA?
How do I get the small firmware update file?

omiez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do not update via OTA.

Download the full installation file from this forum or with iTunes and put your device in DFU mode to update.

You can search the forum for more infos.

Sent from my iPad 64Gb JB 6.1.2 using iPF

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do not update via OTA.

Download the full installation file from this forum or with iTunes and put your device in DFU mode to update.

You can search the forum for more infos.

Sent from my iPad 64Gb JB 6.1.2 using iPF

I understand the need to update via DFU if u are jailbroken but I currently I am not jailbroken on 6.1 so I don't understand why I cannot do a simple update without having to restore my device which takes a very long time.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand the need to update via DFU if u are jailbroken but I currently I am not jailbroken on 6.1 so I don't understand why I cannot do a simple update without having to restore my device which takes a very long time.

1. DFU mode is rarely required these days for ANY device. Since the release of IOS 5.x and iTunes 10, the standard restore process has been improved a great deal, and 9 times out of 10 it will work. However, for the extra 15 seconds it takes to get into DFU once you know how to do it, it can't hurt as a failsafe.

2. If you are severely constrained in terms of bandwidth, you can consider the OTA update method, however you should consider that this is advised against by many jailbreakers including the developers of the evasi0n tools. Using the OTA method on the device will generate an APTicket component of your SHSH Blobs which cannot ever be re-used in the future. Whilst your install and jailbreak may well work, IF you need to use your SHSH Blobs in the future it is highly likely that they will never work. If you are happy to live with this potential risk, then using the OTA method via Settings > General > Software Update will give you the minimum install download.

3. Restoring or updating via iTunes will take longer as it utilises the full firmware file, but this will result in you having full valid SHSH Blobs which may be of use in the future. The process is also potentially less prone to introducing errors via the update process.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq.html

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think my point is missed.
I am on 6.1 but NOT jailbroken.

I want to update the 12mb 6.1.2 update and then jailbreak.
I don't want to do this OTA ... I understand the limitations of that....but...
Can this small update not be done via ITUNES....does iTunes default to a full firmware unlike the OTA ?

I appreciate all the advice but this is confusing me.
I don't want to jeopardize my jailbreaking option nor do I want to go through the long backup and restore process if its not necessary.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think my point is missed.
I am on 6.1 but NOT jailbroken.

I want to update the 12mb 6.1.2 update and then jailbreak.
I don't want to do this OTA ... I understand the limitations of that....but...
Can this small update not be done via ITUNES....does iTunes default to a full firmware unlike the OTA ?

I appreciate all the advice but this is confusing me.
I don't want to jeopardize my jailbreaking option nor do I want to go through the long backup and restore process if its not necessary.

The point wasn't missed ;) But the answer is no. The only "small" update possible is via OTA, and the for the reasons stated, that is not recommended. iTunes cannot do a "small" update.

Given what you describe, the only choice you have is to do the update via iTunes using the full file.

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The point wasn't missed ;) But the answer is no. The only "small" update possible is via OTA, and the for the reasons stated, that is not recommended. iTunes cannot do a "small" update.

Given what you describe, the only choice you have is to do the update via iTunes using the full file.

Aha!
So the small update is not do-able via iTunes....I get it!
Now for the grand finale question...do I still need to "restore" via DFU or can I do the full "standard" update.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aha!
So the small update is not do-able via iTunes....I get it!
Now for the grand finale question...do I still need to "restore" via DFU or can I do the full "standard" update.

You can connect your un-jailbroken iPad into iTunes and use the "Restore" button in the main Summary page. Then iTunes does the same process as if you had done it the "DFU Mode" way.

The reason why people like to do the DFU Mode is because it's often faster to have the firmware readily available (from a download you did yourself) versus waiting for iTunes to connect to Apple and get the firmware. But, the process is the same...both will put the newest iOS onto your iPad (with "good" APTickets).

Marilyn

Most reactions