What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Office2HD

lonzom10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I took the plunge and purchased this app today. So far I am pleased... It's obviously not Microsoft Office but it appears functional for my needs so far. My question is for those of you who have this app... What are some tips or tricks you have learned and/or would recommend for this app? Thanks in advance for your help!

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I too use Office2HD. But I must stay I didn't use it to an advanced level. I just use it to create simple Word/Excel documents on Dropbox.

It does screw up formatting if you try to open a complex word document (with multiple pages and lots of tables, images etc.)

But in reaility, I wouldn't work with such complex document in iPad as those serious documents warrant a proper laptop/desktop with keyboard.

I didn't use Office 2 Excel to a great extent so can't comment on it.

Their support is pretty good. I mailed them and they got back within 24 hours.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure if you noticed....if you swipe right to left on the tool bar reveals more options. Office2 allows for merging of cells which I need. But can't seem to find the option to rotate text 90 degrees within cells. Maybe in a future update?

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi guys
just got this app. its quite good. mainly got it because it links to dropbox and can search through doc.

the main issues i have found so far are:
.search doesnt loop to top of doc if start in middle etc.
.if zoom in on doc, the app looses the part of the doc that goes off edge of screen.

support seems good though

cheers
dan

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
This is my main work app.

For excel compatibility it's fabulous. Never had any issues. My excel files aren't that too complicated saying that. But even so, they work lovely. Cells, colours, calculations, tabbed pages etc etc, the whole visual and experience works great. I typically do my business time sheets and home accounts on it.

Gripe - when typing values into cells it only displays them when you've finished and hit 'done'. No live text typing. Not really a big issue, but it's always nice to see what you're typing as your typing it ;)

Word docs are a different matter. Even for basic letter setting out I've found the compatibilities between Office2HD and other word apps, ie, ms word, not very interchangeable and compatible. Whatever file format I've tried out the page layouts and tabbing just doesn't carry across platform as you'd like.

Saying that, you can certainly set up, and very easily set up, your letters and templates for docs in the applicatin exactly to your liking, and they work and print lovely. But as I say, transferring back to Windows MS or whatever can prove iffy. My advise would be to stay in the app. Excel is a lot more forgiving in this situation.

My tips and main conclusion - I find Office2HD is a great app. Works well and is fairly adaptable and compatible with ms office on the whole (excel more than word). You'll get much more out of the app if you stay in the app.
Also, and because of the above point, you might find your doc page formatting and excel page set-ups don't translate over exactly true between the softwares to how you'd ideally like, so I suggest to stay in the one app as much as you can and re-format and re set out your page formats as best you can in the app from the start; then stay there. Save yourself a set of template pages and life becomes easier.
This will suit the app perfectly and you can get a perfect looking page.

Saving and backing up and wifi transfer is a breeze too.

There is no definitive iPad office app as yet, especially one you can easily and painlessly go back and forth between iPad and main computer. and all have their pros and cons.

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now with the new update....you can create, Open, edit & save PDF's with office2 hd...

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
completely

but as i say, there's not 1 app available as yet thats 100% compatible and transferable back and fourth. The day MS release a mobile office suite will be sweet (and it is rumoured).

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
completely

but as i say, there's not 1 app available as yet thats 100% compatible and transferable back and fourth. The day MS release a mobile office suite will be sweet (and it is rumoured).

Oh, I would love to see this. OneNote itself, with its full functionality not the wimpy one in the app store now, would be the killer app for iPad.

But don't hold your breath. The mobile office suite will be for Windows 8, which is being developed for a mobile platform. I don't see a fully functional MS Office for iOS or Android coming anytime soon. Maybe something for for viewing only.

My opinion though, so take it for what it is worth.

Barn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem with Office2 HD

Hi,

Has anybody had a problem with the interface when the app is opened up. I wrote a couple of reports last friday, saved and encrypted them. I have just gone back in to edit them and all I can see is the screen split. the right side showing, "no file" at the very top, then the office 2hd logo "office 2 hd", then below it shows "no file opened" and below that "open a file by selecting one from the left hand list". On the left it shows "office2hd" at the top with "edit " or "done". Below this there is nothing. No files, no ability to open a new case, zippo.

As I spent the best part of 4 hours writing up the reports I am pretty anxious to get them back so any help would be really helpful.

thanks very much

Barnaby

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Barn said:
Problem with Office2 HD

Hi,

Has anybody had a problem with the interface when the app is opened up. I wrote a couple of reports last friday, saved and encrypted them. I have just gone back in to edit them and all I can see is the screen split. the right side showing, "no file" at the very top, then the office 2hd logo "office 2 hd", then below it shows "no file opened" and below that "open a file by selecting one from the left hand list". On the left it shows "office2hd" at the top with "edit " or "done". Below this there is nothing. No files, no ability to open a new case, zippo.

As I spent the best part of 4 hours writing up the reports I am pretty anxious to get them back so any help would be really helpful.

thanks very much

Barnaby

Did you upload to dropbox account thru office2HD?

Doug.ie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I to use office 2 HD. For no apparent reason it suddenly stopped Wi-Fi contact to my laptop via the network drive option. Is this related to recent update or Is this a problem anyone else is having?

Most reactions

Latest posts