What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Office2 HD help

obi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm really sorry if this has been asked before, or if there is a thread on this (tried but couldn't find one)... but I'm new to everything iPad... I've loaded Office 2 HD on my iPad and I've emailed a few spreadsheets over from my pc to iPad but when I open these emailed docs I only seem to be able to view and print (not edit) ? Is this the case or am I doing something wrong? I really need to be able to edit update my spreadsheets on the go if possible.

Thanks for any info

Obi

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You could also get dropbox from the AppStore for iPad and also for your pc both free with2gb free storage to start. It will allow to upload files from pc to dropbox then add the dropbox service in office hd. Then you'll be able to do what you want.

And if you're already on the go you can email the documents to your dropbox account
Send To Dropbox - Email files to your Dropbox!

No need to fret....there are multiple ways of accomplishing what you want to do.

Last edited:
OP
O

obi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I'm not sure I'm making my point clear... I can get the files from/to each device easy but when I try to open a spreadsheet I have sent to the iPad I can only view it with office office hd no edit functions seem to work ??

Edit: I have sorted my problem, the files I was trying to open were xlsx I needed to convert them to xls

Last edited:

Pogi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very useful update. Just presently facing the same problem. Can't wait to get home, convert my xlsx files to xls and re up them to my iPad. Thanks

Edit: I have sorted my problem, the files I was trying to open were xlsx I needed to convert them to xls

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a note for those facing similar problems with any of the MS Office "emulators." You may find you encounter issues with documents created with the latest versions of MS Office applications on PC's, i.e. .docx or .xlsx files. (May affect PowerPoint files, too. I'm not sure.) All of these emulators tend to be a version or so "behind" Microsoft's most recent versions and you'll need to either convert the files (as noted above) or create the files in a form compatible with earlier versions of MS Office.

Another problem may arise if you are trying to deal with a file that was created by an MS Office "lookalike" such as Open Office on a PC. I've found that such files appear to be true MS Office files (i.e. they have an appropriate extension such as .xls) but will not open with an emulator such as Documents To Go. The workaround is to open such a file with the true Microsoft program (e.g. Excel) on a PC and then save it. Once saved, it can then be transferred to a device running the emulator. BTW, my experience is with Documents to Go on this point but I suspect other MS Office emulators may suffer from the same problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts