1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Off/On Switch

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Rosebud458, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Rosebud458

Rosebud458 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just recently purchased my Ipad... for the past two mornings when I went to turn on my I-page, which was charged the evening before, the battery was completely dead. Am I not turning off a correct on/off switch? the one at the top right of the I-Pad viewing it vertical?
  2. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Your iPad should not be draining completely over night. I have had odd things like this happen on my iPod Touch if the cable was not seated completely in the docking port on the bottom of the iPod. Instead of charging the device, it ended up draining the battery!

I haven't had this happen with my iPad... yet! I would say that if it keeps happening, it might be time to take your iPad to an Apple store or at least call Apple Care and ask them.
  3. Purpleorchid

Purpleorchid iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What were you doing before you pressed the Sleep button for the night? Do you have Location Services turned On or maybe left an app running all night? Sometimes if there is a constant refresh, some apps will still run all night long even though you put it to sleep. (At least that's what occasionally happens to my iPhone).

And are you turning it off or merely putting it to Sleep? You use the same button to do either. Sleep = one press of the buttton. Off = press and hold that button until you see the "Slide to power off" slider. You have to slide that to the right if you want to actually turn it off.
  4. Rosebud458

Rosebud458 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Figured out that I was not powering it off.. I'm learning
    Thnx
  5. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The first few days I had my iPad, I didn't even know there WAS an on-off button, lol. 1991-C4 kindly pointed me to the user guide, which is extremely useful.

So far, I haven't had a problem like yours. The iPad should go to sleep after ~5 minutes even if you don't use the on-off button. I have GPS tracking etc constantly on, and there doesn't seem to be any parasitic drain of the type you are experiencing.

Have you installed a program/app that keeps eating power even when the iPad is off?