What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd problem with the Smart Cover?

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has happened to me only once a few days ago but I'm wondering if I could be headed to a problem on the iPad2?

Latest iOS5 and it is the 64GB WiFi model if that matters.

What happened was I had used the iPad earlier in the day. I closed the smart cover as I usually do. The battery had plenty of charge. I re-charge it when it nears 20% or I get the warning. Rarely sync it back to iTunes on the PC and it hadn't been done for maybe a week.

I go to use it again and open the cover. Rather than seeing the normal pin number prompt I see a black screen with the Apple logo? Hmmm, close the cover and open again. Same thing... I now try what I believe is reset key combo, the power switch and the home button on front. After a few seconds the screen went black... OK, powered on, same situation, Apple logo but nothing happened? Tried again, same thing? OK, I'll call Apple. So I power up my PC and open iTunes to get my h/w serial number. So I open the iPad again so I'll have it 'broken' when I get a call back. Surprise, the pin prompt was there?

Does this portend a problem? Was the reset actually working, just taking a lot of time to come up?

Irv S.

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you have pressed the power-button by mistake? Have you ever done it deliberately so that you are familiar with the black screen and apple Logo?

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is possible I guess?

Would that put up the Apple logo then? However, I think the times I have done that I get an unlock screen?

I just did a hard reboot, and it did take a bit of time.

Maybe it is OK?

Irv S.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:
Could you have pressed the power-button by mistake? Have you ever done it deliberately so that you are familiar with the black screen and apple Logo?

I just did this... Pin number screen comes up?

Irv S.

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IrvSp said:
I just did this... Pin number screen comes up?

Irv S.

Is that bad? I don't have a Pin number on mine.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kathryn

That's password protection in the event the Pad is lost or stolen. Same as you use on your phone for all the same reasons.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you see the Apple logo, it means the iPad is rebooting. Likely a background process in IOS crashed. This happens from time to time. But it sounds to me like you actually were far too impatient. Rather than letting it fully reboot, which can take several minutes if there has been a serious IOS error, you kept resetting and restarting it before it finished it's boot. Likely in the end, you just left it long enough to fully reboot.

So first off, don't sweat it. Occasionally even Apple software has a problem which resets the device. And second, don't panic when it happens. Give the iPad several minutes to reboot if the OS actually crashes so that it can clean itself off and get back up and working again :D

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
That's password protection in the event the Pad is lost or stolen. Same as you use on your phone for all the same reasons.

Yeah, but I don't have one on my phone either. My life is an open book! What I meant was, I didn't know how that related to the problem at hand, with not having one, but the last post explains it.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
If you see the Apple logo, it means the iPad is rebooting. Likely a background process in IOS crashed. This happens from time to time. But it sounds to me like you actually were far too impatient. Rather than letting it fully reboot, which can take several minutes if there has been a serious IOS error, you kept resetting and restarting it before it finished it's boot. Likely in the end, you just left it long enough to fully reboot.

So first off, don't sweat it. Occasionally even Apple software has a problem which resets the device. And second, don't panic when it happens. Give the iPad several minutes to reboot if the OS actually crashes so that it can clean itself off and get back up and working again :D

Thanks, sounds like "I panicked" and didn't wait.

Irv S.

Most reactions