What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd icon has appeared on my iPad screen

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm seeing an icon in the top right of my iPad screen beside the power status. It's a tiny lock with an arrow around it. What is this and how do I get rid of it? I don't know how it got there.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm seeing an icon in the top right of my iPad screen beside the power status. It's a tiny lock with an arrow around it. What is this and how do I get rid of it? I don't know how it got there.

It means that your screen orientation is locked.
To change it, double press the Home button, slide to the right to reveal this:

image-2022471227.jpg
Tap the arrow with the lock at the left.

image-3996006544.jpg

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's your orientation lock. Check the side switch and see if you can see an orange dot. If so, slide the switch to unlock.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The difference between these two perfectly correct sets of instructions lies in the the mystery of Settings > General > Use Side Switch to:

Whatever the side switch is set to, the opposite will show up in the multitask bar's controls.

Kibitzing, just because I can. ;)

Most reactions