What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Occasional iOS printing issues

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sometimes I have issues printing from our iOS devices (various iPads and iPhones) because the device is specifying a paper tray that doesn't exist and I can find no way to change that from the iOS device we're trying to print from.

Anyone else seen this issue?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you use the built in printing feature?

If there's an app for your printer (Canon has Canon PRINT Inkjet, e.g.), download it. These apps usually allow a wider range of settings than the default feature. You should be able to specify which paper size you're using, or which kind of paper (photo paper, plain paper, e.g). This should also prevent the printer from trying to address a paper tray that's not there.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, we use the built in printing feature.

The printer in question is connected on the network and is a Samsung M2880FW laser printer.

I'm thinking when we encounter the specific printing issue, it may be related to the app we're using at the time. I'll have to pay more attention next time it happens and see if there's a common issue.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, we use the built in printing feature.

The printer in question is connected on the network and is a Samsung M2880FW laser printer.

I'm thinking when we encounter the specific printing issue, it may be related to the app we're using at the time. I'll have to pay more attention next time it happens and see if there's a common issue.

Probably the easiest way to print wirelessly from an iDevice is to have a printer(s) that has Apple's proprietary technology AirPrint built-in - looking at the link and scrolling down does not list your Samsung laser machine, so will rely on using often finicky apps and/or properly setting up a wireless network - not sure if you have contacted Samsung yet but if not a consideration.

When I bought my iMac in 2013, I could not get my older brother laser printer to work w/ our iDevices, so bought a new Brother machine w/ AirPrint - then not a problem; sometimes replacing an 'older' printer is the best option, especially at their current prices. Let us know more from your comments above - good luck. Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The printer is listed:
  • Samsung Xpress M2880FW
Otherwise the built in printing feature wouldn't work.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The printer is listed:
  • Samsung Xpress M2880FW
Otherwise the built in printing feature wouldn't work.

Thanks Johanna - went down the list twice but was looking for an 'M' first and not Xpress - well, our OP should be fine to go w/ some help - Dave :)

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just tested it with printing an email from the stock email client and it worked fine from my iPad Pro. I can't remember what application I've used in the past that caused the printing issue.

The biggest challenge will be remembering to update this thread next time I come across this issue!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe the Photos app? Every time I try printing a photo from the built in Photos app, without using the app especially for my printer, the printer decides to print the images on smaller paper.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes! That's it. I tried to print a screen shot from my iPad Pro and the printer returns an error saying no paper in the manual feeder.

I see no way to change that printer paper tray choice from iOS.

My work-around for this it to email myself the image and print it from my PC.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't change that with the default printing feature. That's why I'm using an app when I try printing a picture, or I add the image to a file in Keynotes, and print it that way.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I have no clue why printing a screen shot is any different than any other file. But that is indeed the culprit I was trying to chase down.

Oh well. My work-around is a minor hassle, but reliable. Still, I'd love to not have this compromise with iOS. So no way to change that behavior?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome.
I haven't found a workaround until now, except for those in my previous post.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what printing app do you use that by-passes the built-in limitation?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using an Canon printer, the app I's using is Canon PRINT Inkjet. I'm also using Printer Pro from time to time, an app that works with many AirPrint printers.

Most reactions

Latest posts