What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oberon IPAD2 cover

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Instant design fail: no rear camera port, and no magnetic activation. If other third-party designers like Treegloo and Portenzo can figure it out, don't see why Oberon have to cut corners on this.

Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Instant design fail: no rear camera port, and no magnetic activation. If other third-party designers like Treegloo and Portenzo can figure it out, don't see why Oberon have to cut corners on this.

From the description and images does it look, as if the Oberon should be used on top of the SmartCover. Which of course should be completely unnecessary, a magnet isn't that difficult to implement It looks as if Oberon simply used their iPad 1 cover and made the straps a little tighter.

For iPad 1 they sell great looking covers, but they should update their cover to meet the iPad 2 characteristics, if they want to continue selling covers.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
For iPad 1 they sell great looking covers, but they should update their cover to meet the iPad 2 characteristics, if they want to continue selling covers.

I do have an Oberon for my iPad1, but at that price, would not consider them for iPad2 unless they can fix the rear camera issue (magnetic activation less of an issue, but still nice to have.) I had a very high regard for Oberon's quality and workmanship until this. It's like having a Mercedes Benz, but you have to get in and out through the passenger's side because they didn't put in a door on the driver's side.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oberon just released an updated design of their iPad2 case this weekend, which now offers an optional rear camera (nothing on the magnetic activation). It makes a lot of difference to not have a functionally-impaired case -- http://oberondesign.com/iPad2.php

advinpitersen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Cloud Dragon is one of their newest designs and helps accord off the old time feel of the covers. They are not the flashiest like M-Edge or a lot of abiding like Otterbox but for my money, they are the best covers out there.

Owl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Oberon for my iPad 2 and love it. It has an antique book feel about it and it's beautiful. I get compliments about it all of the time. My only complaint is that it's expensive.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Meh. My fiance could make better with less, that would actually work like the smart covers.

I DO want one like that for when I am traveling for renaissance festivals....might have to call the local shop lol

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:
Meh. My fiance could make better with less, that would actually work like the smart covers.

That is almost exactly what my ex-boss said, too, when he saw my Oberon (except that it was his brother.)

Not that, you know, anyone has actually created an "Oberon-killer" leather case just yet.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oberon have been around for 30+ years, and each design requires a substantial investment in terms of tooling up on the pattern templates as well as their use of grain leather - so anyone who can "make it better for less" ought to get into business (e.g. etsy.com) and give Oberon a run for their money.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts