What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC crime rate up for first time in 20 years, because of Apple thefts

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
crime is up because Mayor Bloomberg is not tackling crime properly with extra resources. bring former mayor Rudy Guillani and see how this crime spree drops. Mayor Bloomberg is an idiot to insinuate that New Yorkers should use more android phones to help cu own crime :mad::thumbsdown:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know about that, GK. Mobile devices on subways and lots and lots of people makes crime increase very likely. Crime must increase before measures can be taken to combat it and users need to be more aware before pulling them out in subways. Apple devices have the best resale value still, but I don't think it will be long before android phones start getting ripped off too, especially the top super phones.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hardware makers and carriers can, and IMO should, block every device reported stolen. Brick them.

Buyers should be suspicious of buying used items.

And owners need to be more careful (and informed).

For me, the worst things with a stolen mobile device would be getting hurt or having data stolen and fraudulently used. I use an iPod touch as a disposable device on subways and in other circumstances I consider questionable, rather than phone or iPads. I have books, audiobooks and music on my touch, so that I won't sweat it if it's stolen. Even then, I try to stay aware of my surroundings.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Hardware makers and carriers can, and IMO should, block every device reported stolen. Brick them.

Buyers should be suspicious of buying used items.

And owners need to be more careful (and informed).

For me, the worst things with a stolen mobile device would be getting hurt or having data stolen and fraudulently used. I use an iPod touch as a disposable device on subways and in other circumstances I consider questionable, rather than phone or iPads. I have books, audiobooks and music on my touch, so that I won't sweat it if it's stolen. Even then, I try to stay aware of my surroundings.

I agree with Kaykaykay completely. Every time I see a post saying "please help me I've lost my password and can't use my iPad" I immediately think....oh yeah, I bet. I am beginning to think that we are aiding and abetting felonies by teaching how to set iPads into DFU mode so they can be returned to factory fresh, never been stolen mode. Apple should have the power to immediately brick the reported device, which, if generally known, would make the theft of them useless. But....there again....that's just MHO. 8)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with Kaykaykay completely. Every time I see a post saying "please help me I've lost my password and can't use my iPad" I immediately think....oh yeah, I bet. I am beginning to think that we are aiding and abetting felonies by teaching how to set iPads into DFU mode so they can be returned to factory fresh, never been stolen mode. Apple should have the power to immediately brick the reported device, which, if generally known, would make the theft of them useless. But....there again....that's just MHO. 8)

Actually, since the devices all have serial numbers, and iTunes collects this data, apple can still brick a device if they want too. And track it too. The thing is, do we really want apple doing that? There could be unforeseen issues with this kind of thing down the road.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, since the devices all have serial numbers, and iTunes collects this data, apple can still brick a device if they want too. And track it too. The thing is, do we really want apple doing that? There could be unforeseen issues with this kind of thing down the road.

Yes, I'd like Apple and other manufacturers to brick any devices after a police report has been filed. People are at risk of not only losing their devices and info, but at physical risk because these devices are in high demand. That includes you and me.

Most reactions

Latest posts