What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbers for ipad - spreadsheet wont download or delete

joP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have about 10 spreadsheets in my numbers app on my ipad. One of them will not download and I cannot even delete it. Any idea what it could be?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you syncing with iCloud? You can try to downloading or deleting the document by visiting icloud.com in a computer browser. (not on the iPad).

Other than that, try these usual fixes, if you haven't already.

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
J

joP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done all the usual fixes - restart, reboot, delete the app etc but nothing works.

Can you explain how I download the spreadsheet from iCloud.com?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You go to icloud.com in a computer browser and sign in with your Apple or iCloud ID. Choose the iWorks app. In iWorks you'll see three tabs; Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. Choose the Numbers tab. If your document is there you can select and download it to the computer. On the computer you can use some other method to copy it back to the iPad.

OP
J

joP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, but it still wouldn't download, I tried excel, numbers and PDF options. I did manage to delete it though from iCloud.com.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like the document was corrupted in iCloud. I'm sorry you could not recover it.

It might be possible to recover it.

You don't say what kind of computer you use, if any. I it is a Mac and you sync it to iCloud, then all iCloud documents are mirrored in a system folder, and will be backed up by Time Machine (again, if you use it). Unfortunately, documents are not synced on a Windows machine, so there will be nothing in any backups you do there.

Apple Support may be able to restore the document, or more likely the entire document folder, from their server backups. This would take time, and if you do not have AppleCare it will cost money. Still, if the document is that important.

For my last, a bit of advice. Don't depend on the iPad to be the only place you keep important documents. iCloud can not be considered a backup, because it updates quickly and does not keep a history of prior versions. I use a free Box.com account to back up my important iWorks documents. The service has WebDAV support which makes less trouble to use with iWorks than DropBox, though they are also usable for this purpose.

Anyway, after I update an important document, I take the extra 15 seconds to update it on Box. Not ideal an ideal solutions, but the best I've come up with for now. Well, besides the backups that happen automatically on my Mac. But restoring from that is a bit of a pain, so I reserver it for real problems. Besides, three copies is even better than two for security.

OP
J

joP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, luckily it the document wasn't that important, and if nothing else I have found out how to download using iCloud.com.

I will look into the Box account or make sure I email a copy onto my windows laptop.

Thanks again

Most reactions

Latest posts