What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbers Advanved Formatting

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to do conditional formatting and dual axis charts
These capabilities are available in Numbers on the MacBook
If I were to create a sheet with these advanced formatting features on the MacBook and send it to the iPad would they be supported there even though you can't implement then there

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From Apple's support site:

Will there be changes to a Numbers for Mac spreadsheet that I import?

In many cases, you will see no difference when a spreadsheet is imported and converted to the Numbers for iPad optimized file format. During the import process, Numbers creates a copy of the imported spreadsheet and retains the original. After the import process, changes made to the content or spreadsheet layout are listed for review for the user.

Below is a list of the changes that are made to Numbers for Mac spreadsheets that are imported and converted to the Numbers for iPad optimized file format:

3D charts are converted to 2D charts. Chart data is retained and editable.
Hidden rows or columns are unhidden. Cell content is retained.
Conditional formatting is removed from imported spreadsheets. Cell content is retained.
Merged cells are unmerged. Cell content is retained.
Table Categories are removed. Tables remain organized and category names are retained as static text.

If you want to provide sample spreadsheet I would be happy to load it into Numbers and let you know how much is lost.

OP
K

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
From Apple's support site:
The instructors at the Apple Store should have known that was there.
Based on that it doesn't look good for dual axis and combined chart types

OP
K

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I'm kind of surprised, because I'd think that question would get asked more.

When you take the 90-minute hands-on iWork class Numbers gets 10 minutes at the end if the class if the instructor is watching the time otherwise it gets opened and you are told the inspector is the same as in
Pages and Keynote
If I were organizing that class I would put Keynote last since you have to get the content for it from other places like Pages and Numbers

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can see then giving Pages a lot of time. Most people probably use that app. I'd think Numbers would be more important the Keynote and deserve more time, but maybe I'm wrong and more people do presentations than collect and crunch numbers.

Or maybe it's a backhanded compliment. They just figure people who want to use Numbers are so smart they will figure it out for themselves. :p

OP
K

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Or maybe it's a backhanded compliment. They just figure people who want to use Numbers are so smart they will figure it out for themselves. :p

I am not sure about that
The stuff that should be in the Inspector that got put other places doesn't make it very intuitive

I have been trying to read through the first chapter on Numbers in the iWork Missing Manual for a week now
Every time I get started I fall asleep

rwm21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Conditional formatting

Has anyone figured how to get conditional formatting into numbers

SyAn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did get it in but don't know how - one of the many Numbers updates for the iPad allowed some conditional formatting, and since then I am reusing these spreadsheets if I need conditional formatting.
PS: I created the original spreadsheet in Excel on a Windows7 PC.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you mean the ability to control a cell's formating in it's formula, there is no conditional formating in Number on iOS. Also, here are no setting for a cell that will change it's appearance based on content.

The closest thing is that some cell types (mostly currency) have options that will display negative numbers differently than positive: red and or bracketed. It's very limited.

BTW, this is a really old thread.

SyAn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you mean the ability to control a cell's formating in it's formula, there is no conditional formating in Number on iOS. Also, here are no setting for a cell that will change it's appearance based on content.

The closest thing is that some cell types (mostly currency) have options that will display negative numbers differently than positive: red and or bracketed. It's very limited.

BTW, this is a really old thread.

Yes I was told, sorry, didn't check the date.
I mean Numbers can display some conditional formatting such as changing cell colour depending on whether the date displayed is a match to the date in a reference cell or not.
Numbers however can neither create nor change these conditional formatting rules, only display them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Seems like we are on the same page.

There are also quite a few charting tricks available in the Mac verion of Numbers that will display in the iOS version, but can neither be created nor edited in iOS.

Most reactions

Latest posts