What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now the iPad Could Even be Affecting High-Definition TV Sales

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_3.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Believe it or not, that little iPad you hold in your hand there may actually be affecting the sales of high-definition TVs, according to one analyst at least, as reported by Fortune’s Apple 2.0 blog. Hudson Square Research’s Daniel Ernst is the analyst in question, and in a note that he issued today, Ernst said that he has been checking in the stores and noticed “thin activity†in the TV aisles, as opposed to “strong activity†in the tablet and smartphone aisles. Ernst also notes in his weekly survey that the average price per square inch of HDTVs has fallen by 23.4% year over year so far this June, which is a bigger decline than last year’s 18% drop. As further evidence, Ernst points to the fact that first-quarter unit sales of HDTVs were up by just 8.9% this year, a massive drop when compared to an increase in sales of 30.9% in 2010. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Apple 2.0 notes that Ernst accepts that the lower HDTV sales could also be due to the time of year, as well as the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and weak housing trends in the U.S., among other factors.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: Is the iPad cutting into high-definition TV sales? - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech[/FONT]

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to mention that, HELLOOOOO...the economy's totally in the crapper. I think it stands to reason that if someone can afford the iPad, they could probably have afforded to buy the flatscreen they needed already. Plus, flatscreen sales went through the roof just before the economy tanked. So I don't think there's a huge need for that many people to upgrade just yet.

I just don't see a direct correlation between iPad sales and a drop off of HD tv sales. Just my two cents.

Bocakiki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the xfinity app came out on the iPad my DVR usage is at under 15% instead of the 70-80% it used to be. IPad is amazing for watching HD shows.

jowy520

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bocakiki said:
Since the xfinity app came out on the iPad my DVR usage is at under 15% instead of the 70-80% it used to be. IPad is amazing for watching HD shows.

The Xfinity app has nothing to do with HD Shows?!? It's an app to check mails, pay bills and set call forwarding...

AppleLov3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the iPad2 but if you were watching a movie at home, you would still have preferred a big screen wouldn't it? I would say blame it on the economy.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the iPad2 but if you were watching a movie at home, you would still have preferred a big screen wouldn't it? I would say blame it on the economy.

I'm skeptical about the analyst's theory, but one advantage to an iPad is portability. Maybe it's just me, but I rarely sit through an entire movie unless I'm in a theater.

Plus, you could buy more than one iPad for the price of a big screen, and maybe some people would rather do that? That way, you can individualize your recreation? With a big screen, everyone in the room ends up watching the same thing.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to the obvious economy issue, I would've expected sales of HD TVs to flatten out at some point once everyone that can afford them has them, and then you are only replacing the attrition.

Reaction score
If I'm going HD the screen will be measured in feet not inches.
Why spend the extra dough on a small screen?

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Bocakiki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jowy520 said:
(The Xfinity app has nothing to do with HD Shows?!? It's an app to check mails, pay bills and set call forwarding...
)

Our Xfinity tv iPad app shows the On demand movies in HD along with a myriad of past shows that are not on tv at present and episodes and series.
HBOGO does the same but not as extensively. It will also have the capability of programming our DVR from anywhere shortly.
Guess it depends where one lives,
Check it out on line.

APorter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm more likely to make an upgrade purchase of new ipad before I'm going to need to upgrade one of my HD flatscreens.

Most reactions

Latest posts