What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noticeable Heat Emitting From Newly Purchased Ipad 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbcmlwacki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
During Christmas I purchase myself a brand new Ipad 4 from BestBuy. I brought it home hoping that this would not occur again as did with Ipad 3's and My Ipod Touch 4g. Mind you all these are the 16 GB version models.

I open it up, and immediately start fiddling with the web browser. right off the bat I turn the brightness down because who needs 100%? so i turn it 1/3 the way down, and already in the lower left-hand side I can feel it get warm. I hadn't even opened up a webpage, just simply opened up safari. I thought i needed to break it in somewhat so i used it the whole day browsing and playing semi-graphic intensive games on it.

The heat never seemed to dissipate, I'm kind of irritated at the fact that I spent over $500.00 for something that can't even keep itself mildly cool like the earlier Ipads. I own a PS3 and it never gets that hot to the touch. I returned it a few days ago because I was completely unimpressed at the fact of the immense heat coming from it. Would this be a good reason to return a product that I paid $500.000 for? or am I just over reacting.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 3 doesn't generate immense heat...ever. Now, if I turn the screen to max brightness and leave it that way for 30 minutes or so, the back of it will get up to about 115 deg as measured with a digital thermonitor. That, to me, feels warm. I would not describe it has immense heat. It never got too hot to hold.

I'm not sure why you expect an electroic device with a high resolution screen and a powerful graphics processor, with only passive cooling, to not ever get warm to the touch. I can drive my PCs CPU up to 95deg C and it has way more cooling than an iPad. I paid way more than $500 for it too. 95deg C is just short of enough to boil water.

My nexus 10 will get hot {warm} too if I play a graphics intensive games on it.

So yes, you are over reacting, assuming your device was not defective.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My ipad 4 never feels warm to the touch but I use a slim smartcover- compatible case.

If you already returned it, why are you asking us if "you're over-reacting"? Since you asked, yes, you're over reacting. And you sound like a real whiner too.

Last edited:

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Definite over reaction.....
I've had an iPad 3 & iPad 4 and they get maybe mildly warm but nothing even worth mentioning.
The iPad 3 is definitely warmer than iPad 4 IMHO.

But as I said....nothing to even give a second thought too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 4 doesn't get any hotter than my iPad 2 does, or my iPad 1 did. Neither do my touch 4 or 5.

I use the same kind of cases on all of them -- back only, TPU.

sharkskill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an iPad 4 and it doesn't feel any hotter than i would have expected a portable device of that size to be. On top of that, i use a protective leather case (the Tucano folio case Cornice for iPad 3, which fits perfectly on the iPad 4), which is light and thin, and encloses the back and front of the iPad 4 completely to protect the corners especially in case of an accidental drop the aluminimum is most probably going to be dented. So, even though i would say that my setup isn't the best one for heat dissipation: http://www.tucanousa.com/shop/folio-case-cornice-for-ipad-3rd-generation.html i still have no complaints about the iPad getting too hot to handle with my bare hands. To improve heat dissipation, you might want to avoid a case which wraps around the back aluminium panel, unless you're worried about a potential drop/damage, like me. The best cover would be only to protect the screen, and the best one in this case is the official iPad 4 Smart Cover.
If you play graphic-intensive games, it will feel a little warmer, obviously, since the device will require more CPU & GPU processing, as well as drain the battery faster, resulting in more heat being produced, but again it's not even worth a second thought. It's like that for all devices. You compare the iPad 4 to your PS3. I own a PS3. How did they even let you in a store to buy stuff by yourself? LOL. The PS3 has powerful fans inside which ventilate and cool its internals. The iPad 4 has no fans, in case you didn't notice - the heat is dissipated mostly through conduction to the back aluminium panel and to the surrounding air.

I think you are just whining about your own hands heating up the iPad 4 or your hands might be overly-senstive to heat. Try some gloves!! LOL

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think guys the thread is an interesting one but we can do without the "whining" comments. The OP was describing his experiences and in passing referred to over-reacting. Whether he was or was not does not advance the discussion about iPad heating. Check out the rules re politeness and please cease the impolite references to "whining".
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think guys the thread is an interesting one but we can do without the "whining" comments. The OP was describing his experiences and in passing referred to over-reacting. Whether he was or was not does not advance the discussion about iPad heating. Check out the rules re politeness and please cease the impolite references to "whining".
Regards, Andrew
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would this be a good reason to return a product that I paid $500.000 for? or am I just over reacting.

I agree with the whining commments but he did ask a question...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions