What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notes on iPad 2

GirlieGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I think I just experienced my first iPad 2 tragedy. All of the information in my "Notes" feature on my iPad has totally disappeared. I had so much information in there. Is there any way to retrieve it. And does anyone know of a comparable app, Ugh!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you were syncing your Notes with an account and recently removed that account, or turned off Note syncing in that account, you can probably recover them by simply turning that account and syncing back on. They are usually stored in a special Notes folder in that account's email.

If you noticed them there and deleted them, look in your email trash and put them back.

Also, if you have more than one account set up to sync with Notes, or have both local and synced notes, there will be an Accounts button above your list of notes. Tap it and make sure you are not just looking at an empty account.

If the Notes app really did just dump things:

First try a restart or reset. This has been known to recover lost data in apps before (though I don't remember it ever working specifically for Notes)

If you've been doing your backups, either with iTunes or iCloud, and don't mind loosing what else you've done since the last backup, a restore from backup may give you back your notes.

As a note taking app, I prefer Evernote. It syncs online an on your computer (if you install it there). It is far more versatile than Notes, and as long as you're not a rabid or professional note taker, the free account will be all you ever need.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Last edited:
OP
GirlieGirl

GirlieGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you sooooo much! I'd deleted my Gmail Acct. After re- creating it, my NOTES came back:)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

If you don't want to keep your GMail account on the iPad, and would like a note app that can be accessed just about anywhere, give Evernote a try.

Once you have it set up you can use the email option in Notes to send them to a special Evernote email address supplied with that account. Install the app on just about any device or computer to have your notes on all of them. After that you can safely remove the GMail account.

The app and basic account are free.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Anytime is a good time to get DropBox, it's a great service; but I don't see what it has to do with Notes or Evernote, since neither of them work with DropBox.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anytime is a good time to get DropBox, it's a great service; but I don't see what it has to do with Notes or Evernote, since neither of them work with DropBox.
I guess that's a good reason I seem to do most of my real important (to me) work on my pc.
And find myself doing less and less on my iPad. I like it as a toy but that's it.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess that's a good reason I seem to do most of my real important (to me) work on my pc

And find myself doing less and less on my iPad. I like it as a toy but that's it.

I agree, for some more advance tasks...

Personally, I do not qualify my iPad as a "toy" but an extension of my home and work needs. This device does provide enjoyment with games, books, movies-however, it is also a very useful and powerful tool for research and work related needs. Hopefully, by becoming more acquainted with your device you will discover what it can do for you! Best wishes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I guess that's a good reason I seem to do most of my real important (to me) work on my pc.

Again, I'm not following your line of reason. What does DropBox not working with Notes or Evernote have to do with the topic? Not that Evernote needs to work with DropBox. It's own clients work fine for keeping notes synced on almost any device you are likely to use.

OP
GirlieGirl

GirlieGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Again, I'm not following your line of reason. What does DropBox not working with Notes or Evernote have to do with the topic? Not that Evernote needs to work with DropBox. It's own clients work fine for keeping notes synced on almost any device you are likely to use.

I am an avid Note taker and am a little hesitant with Evernote. Some of the reviews are quite intimidating.

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evernote seems to be the most recommended, although, I have yet to need to take notes with the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am an avid Note taker and am a little hesitant with Evernote. Some of the reviews are quite intimidating.

The only apps you're going to find with all positive reviews are the ones with almost no reviews.

Negative reviews are the longest, and so often get the most marks as helpful, and so they are listed first by default. In this instance if you expand the first of the most helpful review you see that he was giving 4 star and above reviews. He then reduced his review to one star, but what was he complaining about? The web app; which has little to do with the iPad app. meh, people often give one star reviews over one pet issue. I think they believe that it will 'light a fire' under the developers to get their pet peeve fixed.

On the other hand, positive reviews are very hard to judge too. They often say how much they like the app, without going into details why. You never know if it's a well considered decision or a spur of the moment hurrah.

In this case though, the overall trend is so overwhelmingly positive that you've got to figure the app is at least OK. Less the 8% of the reviewers gave less than 4 starts.

I'm not saying Evernote has not issues or bugs, only that they are mostly minor annoyances; mostly to do with formatting inconsistencies when the notes go from platform to platform. But the key of a note app is whether info is intact, and mine always has been.

But you did say one thing that makes me think you might want to look further. You take a lot of notes. It's possible the basic free account might not give you all the space you'll eventually need. Only you can judge that.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Maybe you should ask the moderator to ban me for my comments.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
Maybe you should ask the moderator to ban me for my comments.

Please refrain from making comments such as this, it is completely unnecessary.

The OP's original problem was resolved by Twerppoet and he has been making positive suggestions since then regarding the OP's other query. If you have no positive or helpful comments to provide then you should refrain from posting in this thread.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts