What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notes disappeared

Rappa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes sync with yahoo account

Hi,

Whilst serching for thsi problem, I came across this thread.
A few days ago my wife's phone, my phone and ipad all 'lost' recent notes (after 11 Aug 13).
When I log into yahoo via safari/explorer then all the notes are in the 'Notes' folder, so why have our apple devices lost and no longer seems to sync with our yahoo account?
Will I just have to get a GMail account and align notes to that?

Thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the notes are still in the Yahoo folder, try turning off the Notes syncing in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; your Yahoo account. Open Notes, close Notes, go back to the settings and turn it back on. Give it a while and see if your notes reappear.

Yahoo's iPad syncing has a history of problems, mostly authentication problems that affect email, but that would affect Notes too. There have not been a lot of complaints recently, so I'm guessing that they are getting better, but maybe not. GMail does have a much better history of reliable service

The fastest and in some ways most versatile note syncing is via iCloud. However even it is not immune to losing notes. Which is why I entrust almost all my notes to Evernote instead. The only time I've ever lost anything there was when I deliberately deleted it.

After saying that, I don't have Notes synced via iCloud myself. I'm using GMail. But I'm doing it because I can use another service (IFTTT) to automatically copy my new notes to Evernote; keeping a log of what I do there.

And why am I doing that? Because then I can dictate a short note in Siri and it (eventually) ends up in Evernote. This is pretty much the only thing that I'm using Notes for (other than as a quick place to copy/edit/past stuff). It's cool, though I have to admit it does not come in handy as often as I thought it would.

Edit: One more thought. If for any reason you've been editing or other wise messing with the notes in your Yahoo Notes folder this will break the syncing in Notes. It changes the format so that the Notes app no longer recognizes the file.

Last edited:

Rappa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the response, I have tried that and it still doesn't sync from a certain date onwards. My wife and I use the same account for emails, notes and Calendar and we have both 'lost' the same notes. Even recently added notes have become 'lost' but are still in a folder if we log into our Yahoo account without the Mail App.

Sean

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you will have to go to that folder and copy, paste the notes back to the Notes app; if you're still going to use it.

You can (should be able to) see your Notes folder in the Mail app. Tap the back/Mailbox button at the top left of the Mail list. Under the Account list choose Yahoo. All folders, including the Notes folder should be visible. Only iCloud accounts blocked the Notes folder, back when notes were stored there, which hasn't been true since iOS 6.

If for some reason the Mail app is not showing that folder, you could try deleting the account and adding it again to see if that helps. This is a bit more pointed than just turning on/off notes, but should cause no harm. Might kickstart the notes showing up too, though I doubt it. It sounds like those notes have lost the mystery formatting that makes them notes instead of emails.

Or you could use the free Yahoo Mail app in the App Store, or use the webmail. They look and act about the same.

That's pretty much all I've got to offer.

Good luck.

Most reactions