What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"notes" app deleting itself

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for some reasons, i keep losing my notes on the apps as if i have deleted it ..but i never actually deleted directly from the app

the only thing that i did was deleteing the email back up of the notes from my handphone ..

could this be the caused of it ? .. if i deleted the email back up of the notes i automatically deleting my notes in the app ?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ran into the exact same issue! My Notes App is set to sync via iCloud to my iPhone and my iMac. But like you, I found that when I received an email of the note and deleted it, the original note on my iPad disappeared - as well as on my iPhone and iMac! So I turned off the iCloud Notes sync feature until I can figure out the best remedy.

Once I resolve it I'll post back...or if you do first, let us know how you fixed it.

Just wanted you to know that you're not alone! :)

Last edited:
OP
nammi

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do you remember if you do any re-start or re-booting afterwards ?

i've just tried deleting the email after i took notes and the notes page still in tact ..

but i occasionally do re-start or re-booting for my jailbreak ipad ... maybe then the notes refresh itself ? .. with no email back up , then the note imside got deleted

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I figured out iCloud Notes syncing. Although it makes sense after using it, it's really not that intuitive IMHO. Here's how it works:

If you have all of your devices, iPad, iPhone and Mac Mail set to sync Notes with iCloud, all of your notes will appear on all of your devices. Great! If you turn off Notes syncing with iCloud on any one device, those notes will remain only on that device. Fine as well. However if new Notes show up in your Mail Inbox and you delete them, they will be deleted on ALL of your devices. The key is to not have them show up in your Inbox.

I hadn't noticed it, but a new "Notes" menu item appeared in my Mac Mail menu under "Reminders":

Screen Shot 2011-11-07 at 11.24.45 PM.png

This is where all of the Notes are sync'd on your Mac. On iDevices they are in the Notes App.

The reason they would disappear is that the default in the iCloud Preferences is "Show notes in Inbox". So whenever I would create a new note it would show up in my Inbox. When I deleted it or moved it to another folder, it would remove it from all of the devices. To stop new Notes from showing up in my Inbox I had to make one change to my iCloud Account Preferences.

Here's how to access iCloud Preferences on the Mac
  1. Open Mail
  2. Control-click or right click on the Notes Folder or your iCloud account in the Mac Mail Inbox.
  3. Click on "Account Info" and the Account Info box will appear.
  4. Click on the "Mailbox Behaviors" tab and uncheck "Show Notes in Inbox".
Screen Shot 2011-11-07 at 11.35.08 PM.png

That's it! Why the default is to have that checked instead of unchecked is beyond me. I unchecked it...I don't need new notes to appear in my Inbox and I don't want to delete Notes that show up there and wipe them from my iPad and iPhone either.

As I said, it's not very intuitive, but once I figured it out I find it works very well!

The same would go for deleting a Note from any one device as long as you have them set to sync with iCloud. If you delete a note from your iPad it will delete it from your iPhone and Mac...no matter where the note first originated.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

Last edited:
OP
nammi

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wooow .. thank you very much, Richs for the very elaborate explanations ...

unfortunately am not in a position where i am as lucky as you are with the iclouds on all your devices which am assuming you already on iOS-5

In my case my ipad is still in 4.3.3 firmware and am not to keen yet on upgrading it to iOS-5 for all the reasons we are all aware of and my Mac Book pro has yet to activate its icloud features.

So i guess am stuck with the option of ensuring not to delete my mails coming from "notes" ..

i tried to find a way to deactivate the email account on the "notes" app but it seems it can't be done ..

thank you, Richs

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wooow .. thank you very much, Richs for the very elaborate explanations ...

unfortunately am not in a position where i am as lucky as you are with the iclouds on all your devices which am assuming you already on iOS-5

In my case my ipad is still in 4.3.3 firmware and am not to keen yet on upgrading it to iOS-5 for all the reasons we are all aware of and my Mac Book pro has yet to activate its icloud features.

So i guess am stuck with the option of ensuring not to delete my mails coming from "notes" ..

i tried to find a way to deactivate the email account on the "notes" app but it seems it can't be done ..

thank you, Richs
At least we know what to expect. Glad to help!

They'll issue iOS 5.0.1 in a few weeks with some tweaks and fixes to iOS 5 so no rush to upgrade.

Enjoy!

OP
nammi

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
they have released the 5.0.1 beta version to developers if am not mistaken ,,,

cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts