What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notepad OCR App?

SSzretter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
coolcoder.org
Can anyone recommend a decent notepad type app that will recognize handwriting and/or printing and translate to text/word document (OCR) ?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Surprisingly at this moment there's a considerable gap in that market. I too have wanted this and my research didn't yield an app worth a punt as they stand unfortunately. My opinion of course.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is another iPhone app 'image to text- ocr', which does the recognition for images. You either choose an image from the Camera Roll, or take a picture from within the app.

The converted text can either be send via email or is directly imported into your evernote account.

I wouldn't say the app is great, it misses an option to just copy the text right after conversion, but it works and is free.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Evernote will try to index handwritten notes.
Just noticed something about integration with evernote in Penultimate's upgrade notes this morning but have been too lazy to check it out yet.

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use WritePad for notetaking and am very happy with it. It seems the more I use it, the more it must "learn" my handwriting because I have dreadful handwriting. It makes the ocassional error but correcting is easy. I don't have a need for an OCR app so can't recommend anything there. Good luck.

owsc2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Writepad is great. If you want more functions such as insert pictures, recording etc, you may try Phatpad from the same developer.

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for Writepad.

The handwriting recognition is very good if you write large and slow. Like you were taught in 2nd-3rd grade. And it gets better the more you use it.

Most reactions

Latest posts