What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notability Question

wakeupgetdown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the app Notability for IPad Air 2. I was trying to import some files for school, and not knowing which file extensions Notability could read, I attempted to import a .htm file, as well as a document I made in Apple Pages, and saved in the "pages" format.

The files would not open in Notability. However, now every time I open Notability, a box pops up on my screen. It has my user name in the middle. The left says "Clear", the right says "Done", and the two files (test.htm and blank.pages) are listed in the box. I cannot interact with them at all. If I click "Clear" the box clears, and if I click "Done" the box closes. However, the next time I open Notability the box pops up again!

Does anyone know how to fix this? It is only an annoyance but I really want to get rid of it. Thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Much to my sorrow, I've managed to duplicate your issue by trying to open a Pages document in Notability. This despite the fact that I know Notability does not support Pages format. But it did show up in the share sheet, which apps are only supposed to do if they are compatible with the file type you are exporting. Whether that is Apple's fault, Notabilities fault, or a combination of both I don't know.

I have not found a solution yet. I suspect that I'm going to have to delete and re-install the Notability app, but am holding off until I've tried everything else I can think up, and come up with a reasonably safe method of making sure I don't lose any documents.

In that vein, I need a little extra information from you. Are you using iCloud's Documents and Data, iCloud Drive, or some other cloud service with Notability; and do you have Notability synced with another iOS device.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I ended up deleting and re-installing Notability. I have iCloud Drive, and Notability enabled to use it; so for me all I had to do was open Notability and turn iCloud Drive back on. All my notes came back.

However, I'm not a particularly trusting soul, so I first copied all my notes to DropBox (be sure to use the Notability format when doing this). That way if something had gone wrong I could have imported them again. I'd have probably had to re-organize them into folders (since I dumped them all into one folder), but that would have been acceptable. I only have less than a dozen notes.

Anyway, it worked. The stupid notification is gone.

If you need more details on how to copy then re-import your stuff with Dropbox (or another cloud file storage service) let me know.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444162303.566204.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444162318.117910.jpg

Last edited:
OP
wakeupgetdown

wakeupgetdown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@twerppoet Thanks so much. It is a student at my school that is having this trouble, so I'm not 100% sure of her setup. I believe she's probably got most things synced to Google Drive, and they also have access to iCloud and DropBox. I will make sure that all of her documents are backed up before trying the fix. Thanks for taking the time to test it out for me!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I expect Notability will fix this soon. They shouldn't be showing up in the share sheet for files they are not compatible with.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like the most recent update to Notability has fixed this problem.

Pages still gives you the option to send the file to Notability, but the dialog in Notability lets you clear the un-importable file, and no longer shows up every time you open the app.

Most reactions

Latest posts