What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notability File Share - how fo?

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having thought I had lost data when needing to "restore factory setting" I was pleased to find ALL of my notability documents still there DESPITE never having backed up anywhere deliberately.

In the app it says you should set up a file share with iTunes which I had not gotten round to!

Does a normal sync save the files? If not how have I managed to have my data returned after a resore?

And when I look at the Notability tab on pc it shows no files by name - compared to my video app for instance which lists all of my saved videos by name...?

S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One of the things backing up to iTunes does is store the file folders associated with each app. Matter of fact, along with the iPad's settings and few other things that is all it backs up. That's how you got your Notability files back.

Unless you've turned it off, iTunes will perform a backup of your iPad when it syncs your other media. You can tell by watching the sync status in iTunes on the computer while you sync.

To use file sharing in iTunes you have to have your iPad connected to the computer. Select your iPad in the Devices list. Go to the App tab using the link at the top of the page. At the bottom of the page you'll find the File Share section with a scrollable list of apps and a file menu to the right.

To share files select the app you want and copy files in and out of the list. That's all there is to it. You don't even have to sync.

I can't tell you anything about how Notibilty works on the PC or iPad. I don't have it.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
One of the things backing up to iTunes does is store the file folders associated with each app. Matter of fact, along with the iPad's settings and few other things that is all it backs up. That's how you got your Notability files back.

Unless you've turned it off, iTunes will perform a backup of your iPad when it syncs your other media. You can tell by watching the sync status in iTunes on the computer while you sync.

To use file sharing in iTunes you have to have your iPad connected to the computer. Select your iPad in the Devices list. Go to the App tab using the link at the top of the page. At the bottom of the page you'll find the File Share section with a scrollable list of apps and a file menu to the right.

To share files select the app you want and copy files in and out of the list. That's all there is to it. You don't even have to sync.

I can't tell you anything about how Notibilty works on the PC or iPad. I don't have it.

Thanks Poet, I shall go have a look next time i connect up to pc. Not sure if i actually need to do it mind as everything came back...but belt and braces may be worthwhile. Now must get back to watching Indian Wells tennis.
S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

phundley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does this process change with iCloud? I have my new iPad syncing to iCloud, as well as my MacBook Pro. The old iPad is updated to iOS 5 but is not syncing with the cloud.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
phundley said:
How does this process change with iCloud? I have my new iPad syncing to iCloud, as well as my MacBook Pro. The old iPad is updated to iOS 5 but is not syncing with the cloud.

What part?

File Sharing in iTunes is unchanged.

Having iCloud gives you the option to continuing your backups to iTunes as usual, or backing up to iCloud instead. With iCloud you can choose what app have their contents saved (often necessary if you stick with the free 5 GB plan), but restoring is still all or nothing, just like iTunes.

If your a belt and suspenders sort, you can still force a backup in iTunes even after switching to iCloud backups. Actually not a bad idea.

lisztmania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to restore but have lost all my notability files - seems I didn't have them stored in itunes or the cloud? ANyway I do have some in dropbox - is there a way I can import these in folders or does it have to be one file at a time?

Most reactions

Latest posts