Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by Jailbird7936, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Jailbird7936

Jailbird7936
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My daughter decided to update her iPad mini by doing so through the general settings tab when it informed her an update was available. She has been told not to do updates, downloads or anything without me knowing about it first. She didn't listen...go figure. The screen advises me to connect to iTunes:
    connect_to_itunes.png

When I plug it in and pull up iTunes, I get this:
    Jessi iPad.JPG

I can't seem to get passed either one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there! Welcome to iPF!

If you want to exit recovery mode, then restart the iPad - turn it off and on again.

If you want to update, you'll find the instructions what to do in this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

Hope that helps..

3. Jailbird7936

Jailbird7936
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No option to turn it off. I continue to get the connect screen no matter what I do. Pressing one or both at the same time gets the same end result.

4. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When you get the second picture and you press ok, does the pop-up disappear and you see the main (summary) screen in iTunes? If yes, have you tried pressing the "Restore" button?

Marilyn

5. Jailbird7936

Jailbird7936
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have pressed ok, then restore. Moments later I get the same pop-up.

6. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay.

This is going to be drastic because if you don't have a backup, you will end up losing everything (as you will end up setting up the iPad as new) - but try restoring via the DFU mode.

See this link for how to use the DFU method: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/dfu-mode-for-dummies.27489/

Once you have successfully put the iPad into DFU mode, iTunes should then tell you/allow you to restore the iPad. This will re-load it with a "fresh" version of iOS 7.1.1 and it will be as if you just got it from the store. Again - if you don't have a [recent] backup, you will have to start all over. But, you'll have a working iPad...

Marilyn