What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sure how to set up new mini w/ concurrent IPAD 4?

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! Please forgive me if this is a totally silly question. I have last years big IPAD (love it!) my 1st apple product ever. I have ordered the mini to use for business & traveling. I was thinking, would it be better for me to set it up with a different email then my big IPAD? This way would I have the entire cloud coverage amt for this mini as well? I'm thinking doing it this way I couldn't share apps b/n them, but that is ok as I only have one purchased app, a calendar, & I can either just use the free lite version or buy the regular version for the mini if I wish. Any thoughts? Also I will be taking his mini overseas to Israel, Italy, & France this fall. Is there anything I should know about using your IPAD internationally? Thanks in advance!

Guitar4Him

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Gen4 and a Mini Retina. When I set up the Mini, I had iTunes restore from a previous backup of the Gen4. Voila! ....within a few minutes, my Mini was set up identical to the Gen 4. All my apps and my screen setup transferred over perfectly. Nice thing....didn't have to re-purchase any of the apps which I would have been required to do if I had set it up with a different login.

OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds awesome! However I was wondering if doing them as separate accounts would give me twice the amount of cloud storage since they would each be their own separate device? Different email/use a different credit card/different IPAD name/own icloud storage amt. If so & since I only have one purchased app, then that might be beneficial. However...I have gotten lots of apps that have gone free from appsgonefree that might not be free now, so that might be more beneficial to me in the long run!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iCloud storage depends on your iCloud account. So if you use the same Apple ID as on your iPad 4, but set up a different iCloud account, you still have the advantage of twice the iCloud storage amount, but the ability to download apps from the original Apple ID.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for explaining that to me. I think I have about got it. I promise y'all I'm not dense! I just know it is really important to set this up right the 1st time.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for explaining that to me. I think I have about got it. I promise y'all I'm not dense! I just know it is really important to set this up right the 1st time.

I think we all start second guessing ourselves when it comes to "new" devices. I know I ask the same questions myself!

Good luck and congrats on your new tablet! :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to give thoughts to the setup of a new device in advance.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh believe me, I'm giving it lots of thought! It's supposed to be here tomorrow, even though shipping shows after arriving to Alaska & then KY it went back to Hong Kong & then back to Alaska & nothing since yesterday. I'm trying not to obsess about that too much! And by not obsessing, I mean I've checked on it about 10-12 times today! LOL Anyway I backed up my IPAD through ITunes via my PC, re-noticing that my Apple ID is the same as my Icloud ID, since they use your email acct. I'm assuming that when I set up this mini I will choose a new icloud name for this mini. I'm sure that I will figure this out when I set it up on Thursday...keeping fingers crossed it comes in on time! Thanks again!

OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it setting up my mini hasn't gone so smoothly...of course, LOL. First it kept saying my apps weren't approved to go on the mini & I needed to get the mini approved for the apps. I think I finally got that taken care of. Now I finally got some of the apps on there, but not all. What should I do? Wipe them off & start over? If so, how do I do this? I really don't care for ITunes. My back up was done to my PC through ITunes if that helps. Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to use the same apps on your new device:
Use iTunes to transfer your information to the new iPad: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

In case you intend to set up a new iCloud account: when the iPad is set up, go to Settings - iCloud. Disable "Find my iPad" and delete the account. You're able to add/set up a new iCloud account afterwards.

OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for that important info Johanna about the new icloud. I did end up deleting the 1st try & doing it again, which did put all of the apps on my mini, however, it is taking them all day to DL. Still working on it now. Must my internet. :-(

Most reactions