What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not detecting all WiFi SSID's

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Ipad1 3G. It works fine.
The other day I was in an area that had WiFi and I expected to find a specific SSID I had used before but it wasn't offered in the list of SSIDs the iPad found.
So for grins I did a site survey with my Blackberry and low and behold it found the missing SSID and a dozen more than the iPad found.
After a long time the iPad did find a few more including the missing one but it took MUCH longer than the Blackberry. It never found all the system the Blackberry did.
It it normal to the iPad to take a fairly long time to build it's list of available SSIDs?
J

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have't experienced this problem. The iPad is generally easy to connect to wireless networks, much less drama than with Windows for example.

ipadtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
strange! something wrong with the wifi function of your ipad? You are comparing ipad 1 with blackberry. Maybe iy is better to do more comparision.

sdiaz33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an iPad 2 and ehave been experiencing this same problem for some time now. I have no problems at my home networks but does not detect at all hotels/public networks.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does it connect if you manually enter the SSID? You do this BT choosing "Onnect to another network"

As another poster said, at least the iPad connects to WiFi with much less drama than Windows, which can be inexplicably difficult.

I have just started using and Android phone and it seems to connect even faster than iOS, pretty much instantly.

The diffrerence is presumably in the software although it's hard to understand why there would be so much variability.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has a limit on what Wi-Fi it's iDevices can pick up. There is a signal strength requirement, so if the Wi-Fi is weak the iPad will not pick it up.

But this restriction can be removed with Wi-Fi Booster from Cydia if you are jailbroken.

Most reactions