What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not connected to the Internet?

George Garrigues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, Community! I am sooo-ooo confused!

When I tap on the Internet icon, I am presented with a page that I was looking at on my desktop computer, but when I type in a new address, I am presented with a message saying "Cannot Open Page. Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet."

Well, just how do I DO that.

Sincerely, your friend,
George

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand your question. Are you talking about the iPad, or your desktop?

If iPad, are you showing the wireless or 3G icon in the upper left?

You could be in airplane mode. Turn that off.

In the settings tab, look at network - are you connected to a network?

OP
G

George Garrigues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand your question. Are you talking about the iPad, or your desktop?

If iPad, are you showing the wireless or 3G icon in the upper left?

You could be in airplane mode. Turn that off.

In the settings tab, look at network - are you connected to a network?

Thanks for your quick response. I am talking about my iPad, but here is the latest wrinkle: When I connect to my neighbor's network (apparently he does not require a password), I can log on to the Internet just fine.

I am now on the Wi-Fi Networks page of my iPad. Wi-Fi is turned ON. Check mark is next to my neighbor's name.

Ask to Join Networks is OFF.

Now I just put the checkmark next to "Home" (the name of my network) and typed in the password. Clicked on the blue arrow and got a new page with all my IP address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS information, etc., none of which I understand.
HTTP Proxy at the bottom is set to OFF.

AIRPLANE MODE is OFF

Now I go back to the main screen and tap Safari. The Wikipedia page I was looking at comes back, but when I tap on "Edit" (as an example), I get the notice that I "Cannot Open Page" because I am "not connected to the Internet.":confused:

I really had better luck with my neighbor's network, but I don't want to have to sit on his side of the house all the time.

Any ideas?

Sincerely, your friend,

George G.

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, unplug your wifi/router from the mains/AC and leave it for about 8-10 minutes, while waiting try this. Go into SETTINGS - GENERAL - NETWORK, then chose the line with your network name on it and then press the blue arrow on the right, then tap the FORGET THIS NETWORK button at the top of the page. Then setup your network again. OR, you can try to tap RENEW LEASE and see it that helps. The first option above is the best one to try, as it resets everything in the network settings. Now plug in your wifi/router back in and let it boot up. Try the internet again. Keep in mind some old wifi/routers don't work well with the newer technology devices. If your still having problems, check and see it the router manufacture has a firmware update available for the wifi/router or try a different wifi/router if you have one or maybe borrow one for a day. Also try WPA2 instead of WEP. Make sure your router isn't using the same channel as your neighbors, try one at least 2 channels away from the ones your neighbors using. If he's using channel 6 you need to use channel for example, 4 or 8. Hope this helps.

Networking is pure magic and wireless is black magic.

Coachcrump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. Quite often I will detect a "free" wifi zone will connect, the icon shows up in the top left to indicate that I am connected but when I go on safari am unable to link to the inter net! Any suggestions?...

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Every now and then router and modem need reboot. Unplugging and plugging them back up will do it.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. Quite often I will detect a "free" wifi zone will connect, the icon shows up in the top left to indicate that I am connected but when I go on safari am unable to link to the inter net! Any suggestions?...

Many of these "free" zones are actually not free. They show up, as if you are connected, but then the wifi graphic will go away when you try and use it. Hotels are probably the best example - if things are working right, you would get a login screen to enter your information, but frequently the login page never gets displayed. Sometimes you just have to wait - connect to the free wifi under the networks tab and just let it sit there for a few minutes - the hotel, or whatever, will then present its login screen to you... But again, not really free...

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@George G -

So do what Pocobear says...

One major thing - in your router security, do you have it set to only accept certain MAC addresses? I do, and when people come over, they all complain (and I sometimes forget) that I have to add their MAC address to the router in order for it to connect.

This would be in the router software. It typically is NOT set up to be on, but if you, or someone installing your stuff was more security conscience, this would be enabled, and until the router knows that your iPad is an acceptable piece of hardware, it would not recognize it. If this is true, you would need to look at the router software. Could be anywhere depending on the router software you use. If you have a linksys, I can help you, but otherwise...

Also, you should be able to ignore all the fancy stuff in the wireless area on the iPad. You may need to use the "Forget this Network" occasionally, or the "renew Lease" but other than that - leave everything alone.

Last thing - sometimes "resetting the network" can be helpful. To do this, go into settings - general - reset. Then press Reset Network Settings. Be aware that you will then have to go back to the Network area and re-enter your info, but this can sometimes take care of issues.

Let us know...

deottalee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, unplug your wifi/router from the mains/AC and leave it for about 8-10 minutes, while waiting try this. Go into SETTINGS - GENERAL - NETWORK, then chose the line with your network name on it and then press the blue arrow on the right, then tap the FORGET THIS NETWORK button at the top of the page. Then setup your network again. OR, you can try to tap RENEW LEASE and see it that helps. The first option above is the best one to try, as it resets everything in the network settings. Now plug in your wifi/router back in and let it boot up. Try the internet again. Keep in mind some old wifi/routers don't work well with the newer technology devices. If your still having problems, check and see it the router manufacture has a firmware update available for the wifi/router or try a different wifi/router if you have one or maybe borrow one for a day. Also try WPA2 instead of WEP. Make sure your router isn't using the same channel as your neighbors, try one at least 2 channels away from the ones your neighbors using. If he's using channel 6 you need to use channel for example, 4 or 8. Hope this helps.

Networking is pure magic and wireless is black magic.

I have had a similar problem and finally thot to check back here. Did the Forget this network thing and then reset . I can connect again...thank you so much!

Most reactions