What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

not charging

haidalicious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my ipad is saying "not charging" when I plug it in, can anyone give me suggestions on what I might be able to do, also if I reset to factory settings will I loose all my data and photos?

southwisper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re the charging issue ... The iPad will not charge when connected to PC Via USB cable (not enough power from the USB)... You need to charge the iPad using the wall charger.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
southwisper said:
Re the charging issue ... The iPad will not charge when connected to PC Via USB cable (not enough power from the USB)... You need to charge the iPad using the wall charger.

This is simply not true. The USB socket will not supply as much power as a wall socket so the iPad will tell you that it is not charging when in fact it is trickle charging.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How rude of me, i almost forgot.........Hi there and welcome.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. A link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, if you still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:

southwisper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
This is simply not true. The USB socket will not supply as much power as a wall socket so the iPad will tell you that it is not charging when in fact it is trickle charging.

The Archangel

Oh thanks for the clarification :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
southwisper said:
Oh thanks for the clarification :)

No problem.....it seems to catch (almost) everyone out! Maybe better if Apple introduced a trickle charging icon.......

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

rferrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
simple fix (for me anyway)

I joined this forum for this very reason. After reading multiple posts last Friday and even considering going by the Apple Store (which was FILLED with people waiting to pick up their 4s) - I went home and really played with the cord/connections. There is a lot of play where the USB end of the cable connects to the wall plug so I started there to see if moving the USB around would make a connection - I could get the 'lightening bolt' to come on but whenever I let go of the cable it went off again. I finally figured out that if after inserting the USB firmly and then backing it out ~ 1/16", the charge indicator would stay on. Got a full charge easily. I've charged it fully 3 times over the weekend and it works like a charm every time. This may not fix it for everyone but it worked for me.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
my ipad is saying "not charging" when I plug it in, can anyone give me suggestions on what I might be able to do, also if I reset to factory settings will I loose all my data and photos?

Hi Haidalicious - quite a name! Welcome to the forum! :)

You've already received a number of posts, but the first question is whether your are using the AC adapter that came w/ the iPad? This is a higher powered one than the ones associated w/ other Apple devices, i.e. puts our 10W of power; that is why most older USB ports on computers will show that the iPad is not charging, although as Gabriel has pointed out there is a much lower power charging occurring - Apple should be clearer on this I guess - :(

But please let us know if your issue is w/ the regular iPad adapter or if you are trying to charge from a low-powered USB port - :)

Most reactions

Latest posts