What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not able to launch setting

Akern1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot seem to launch my Settings function on my IPad-2? I hit the icon and it goes to a "white page" that appears it is trying to launch, but then poof it just return to the start. I have tried to reset, but doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Akern1 - welcome to the forum! :) Just as a reminder, you left the same post in two different forums - not a good idea and against forum rules; just adds to confusion for those wishing to respond and hopefully a mod will be along to close one of the duplicated posts.

Now, I looked at your first post in mid-April in which you state that your iPad was dropped! Have you had any other mis-behaviours on the device, i.e. other apps not working properly, hardware issues, etc.? If so, you might need to have the iPad checked out at an Apple store?

For starters & if not already done, please 'Force Close' the Settings app, i.e. double tap the home button (or use multi-fingering gesturing by swiping up) to open the multitask bar at the bottom, find the 'Settings' app; press and hold until all jiggle, then hit the minus button on the app); return to the home screen and try again.

If the above does not correct the problem, then 'Restart' and if not effective 'Reset' the iPad - directions HERE, if not familiar w/ the maneuvers - good luck and post back your results!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Akern1 said:
I cannot seem to launch my Settings function on my IPad-2? I hit the icon and it goes to a "white page" that appears it is trying to launch, but then poof it just return to the start. I have tried to reset, but doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

When you say reset do you remove the setting icon from the background task bar prior to restart?

OP
A

Akern1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
When you say reset do you remove the setting icon from the background task bar prior to restart?

Yep, i remove the icon from the background task bar, I even reset my whole iPad. The problem is intermittent!

OP
A

Akern1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi Akern1 - welcome to the forum! :) Just as a reminder, you left the same post in two different forums - not a good idea and against forum rules; just adds to confusion for those wishing to respond and hopefully a mod will be along to close one of the duplicated posts.

Now, I looked at your first post in mid-April in which you state that your iPad was dropped! Have you had any other mis-behaviours on the device, i.e. other apps not working properly, hardware issues, etc.? If so, you might need to have the iPad checked out at an Apple store?

For starters & if not already done, please 'Force Close' the Settings app, i.e. double tap the home button (or use multi-fingering gesturing by swiping up) to open the multitask bar at the bottom, find the 'Settings' app; press and hold until all jiggle, then hit the minus button on the app); return to the home screen and try again.

If the above does not correct the problem, then 'Restart' and if not effective 'Reset' the iPad - directions HERE, if not familiar w/ the maneuvers - good luck and post back your results!

Sorry about that, I really have no idea of what I am doing in here, so what is the difference between a "forum" and a "discussion"? So my problem is intermittent, I was hoping to fid some pattern for it's occurrence or it's ability to relaunch, and so far nothing seems to make sense. The problems occurred way before I dropped my iPad. Right now it is not launching.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if a restoration to factory settings is in order here? Given the stated problem, I think it's what I would consider.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I wonder if a restoration to factory settings is in order here? Given the stated problem, I think it's what I would consider.

I'm with Kevin on this primarily because we aren't dealing with a third party app but rather a function of the OS.

Do you have a recent backup prior to the problem manifesting? iCloud backup possibly? It need not be one performed from within iTunes via USB necessarily.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. If it was an app I'd say simply delete it and reinstall, but this seems more serious. I would save as much data as I could then do a restore. I wouldn't bother too much about doing a backup either. I'd rebuild from scratch.

OP
A

Akern1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
That's what I thought. If it was an app I'd say simply delete it and reinstall, but this seems more serious. I would save as much data as I could then do a restore. I wouldn't bother too much about doing a backup either. I'd rebuild from scratch.

So I am pretty new To this thing, what is involved in "rebuilding" from scratch? Is it complicated? Thanks for your help!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not complicated but potentially tedious. Restorer to factory settings then download all of your apps again.

If you still have problems you have a hardware fault.

You would need to save any data first, and make sure you remember your AppleID and password.

OP
A

Akern1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Not complicated but potentially tedious. Restorer to factory settings then download all of your apps again.

If you still have problems you have a hardware fault.

You would need to save any data first, and make sure you remember your AppleID and password.

Thanks, I think I have done this before, where you re- download the operating system through iTunea, right? on another note, I have space in iCloud but I have no idea how to load or save things to it, I also have a Dropbox account where I save my documents. Any suggestions on where to find a guide for using iCloud? Thanks.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Akern1 said:
Thanks, I think I have done this before, where you re- download the operating system through iTunea, right? on another note, I have space in iCloud but I have no idea how to load or save things to it, I also have a Dropbox account where I save my documents. Any suggestions on where to find a guide for using iCloud? Thanks.

Here ya go:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

Most reactions

Latest posts