What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nook app for I-Pad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you mean I cannot buy on my iPad any more?
It's a joke right?

Use Safari on the > iPad < to go to Amazon.com. Select the Kindle from the options on the left, then select ebooks from the menu. This is exactly (or close enough) what the link in the Kindle app did. It was not a special store in the Kindle app. It was just a shortcut to the site, and it opened the Safari app to go there.

Once there, you can make yourself a bookmark for convenience.

Buying books this way is slightly different, but the result is the same. The ebook will show up in your archive page on the Kindle. Or you can select to send it to the iPad immediately using the "Deliver to:" menu just below the Buy button.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you advise a way to have a better icon on the iPad than the page that links into amazon kindle.
It looks yucky?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most of the time you get miniature web page, and it is unattractive. However a few sites are prepared for the iPad and supply a good icon. The Kindle Store seems to be one. When I followed my own instructions I got a nice blue icon that said Kindle Store.

At any rate I've copied the URL that worked for me. Be sure to let the page finish loading before trying to create the icon.

Amazon.com: Kindle eBooks: Find an eBook, Free eBooks, Digital Books, and Books Online

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you advise a way to have a better icon on the iPad than the page that links into amazon kindle.
It looks yucky?

If you're lazy like I am, you can pick anything you like on a Web page as an icon; you pick something on the page, zoom in and crop as you like on the page before you save your bookmark to your home screen.

By the way, if you save the Kindle store, you get a nice (IMO) Kindle store icon on your home screen. Amazon probably just added it because of this kerfuffle with Apple.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But why would they change the convenience of shopping in the app?

Because Apple wanted to start charging 30 percent commission for every sale made that way (if the app sent you to the store directly).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But why would they change the convenience of shopping in the app?

Because Apple wanted to start charging 30 percent commission for every sale made that way (if the app sent you to the store directly).

No doubt that is part of their thinking. Though since they added an out it was not something they were going to force. What they said publicly was that they wanted to make sure that in-app purchases were consistent in order to avoid confusing customers and ensuring a quality experience.

And before we get too self righteous about the whole thing there are two issues to take into consideration.

The original rule, that did not allow the simple removal of the link, was pointed at subscriptions. Book readers just got caught up in the sweepings.

Second is that Apple is providing an extremely valuable retail venue for these companies, and by their current rules those companies are paying all of $99 a year for that resource. That has to hurt any business man's greedy heart. :) And it's not the norm for other companies, so jumping on Apple for it is pretty close to the (typical) only blame Apple bias that permeates some news sources, and a multitude of blogs.

For instance, Amazon offers newspaper and magazine subscriptions. Do they offer 'any' way for those periodicals to avoid paying a percentage to Amazon? No, they don't.

To be fair, Amazon's business structure would make it inconvenient to do this. And it would be pretty stupid of them since this is how they make money; selling things.

And to be somewhat more critical of Apple, it's business structure means that even when they do not offer direct profit, companies like Amazon add value to the iPad platform that is sure to result in indirect profit.

It's all pretty complicated, and motives are slippery things to assign. I'm just relieved that it did not come down to an industry wide battle that resulted in a loss for everyone.

Last edited:

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
If you're lazy like I am, you can pick anything you like on a Web page as an icon; you pick something on the page, zoom in and crop as you like on the page before you save your bookmark to your home screen.

By the way, if you save the Kindle store, you get a nice (IMO) Kindle store icon on your home screen. Amazon probably just added it because of this kerfuffle with Apple.

Tried ,but having a problem .
Can you explain in more detail.
Trying to save a picture as the icon for a bookmark,not just the we'd page.
The kindle keeps saving as the webpage no icon???

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You know, it's possible that the servers in Australia haven't been updated with the icon. I should have noticed your location before.

Kaykaykay's method will work, though it won't be as pretty. Find a portion of the page that you think will make an ok icon. Then zoom in and center it on the screen. Try to create the icon. If the placement isn't exactly what you want, cancel and reposition the screen until you've got it as close to what you want as possible.

Unfortunately some of the best possibilities are on the edge of the page, and you can't center them to get a good crop.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

Can you talk me through the icon saving please.
Have saved the kindle link to the iPad ,but want to save a better image icon than the web page itself .trying but not having much luck

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You know, it's possible that the servers in Australia haven't been updated with the icon. I should have noticed your location before.

Kaykaykay's method will work, though it won't be as pretty. Find a portion of the page that you think will make an ok icon. Then zoom in and center it on the screen. Try to create the icon. If the placement isn't exactly what you want, cancel and reposition the screen until you've got it as close to what you want as possible.

Unfortunately some of the best possibilities are on the edge of the page, and you can't center them to get a good crop.

Have saved some kindle icons in my photos.
Does this help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have saved some kindle icons in my photos.
Does this help?

No. Not using the bookmarking feature in Safari.

Look up Touch Icon Creator in the App Store. I don't like this solutions because it depends on keeping the app for the icons to work. Still, it may be what you want.

There are several other apps like this, some with much better ratings, but they are for the iPhone. They may work anyway. Up to you if you try them.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops, not back yet. That was Nook Kids... It should not be long, however, as the iPhone version is there. The app Kobo will work with Barnes & Noble, however.

I never heard back from Kobo, despite its now apparently laughable automated promise of a reply in 24 hours. But in reply to my asking whether I could use the Kobo app, B&N says:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, at this time, NOOK Books purchased on our website are not
compatible with Kobo. *Please check our website often as we are
continuing to expand our download capabilities to other devices. **At
this time, our NOOK Apps support downloads to your NOOK, NOOK Color,
iPad, PC, iPhone, Android phone,HTC HD2, MAC and Blackberry.

Most reactions