What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob question: Stop apps from re installing

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI
I know its a noob question but I looked on search and Ill find "app stopped during installation"

How do I - once anf for all - stop apps that I have deleted in Ituines from re-downloading and appearing again on my Ipad and Touch devices.

I thought the feature would be on Itunes but in I saw that there is an option on the devices itself (which I didnt know about). Ive had devices for 2 years.

Device > Settings > Itunes and app store > Automatic downloads

Is there where you turn it off or somewhere else? I have been looking on Itunes (latest version) and I never saw it.

Ill be irked to find out if this is where I should have been looking . . . on the device, and not Itunes

Thank you

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
HI
I know its a noob question but I looked on search and Ill find "app stopped during installation"

How do I - once anf for all - stop apps that I have deleted in Ituines from re-downloading and appearing again on my Ipad and Touch devices.

I thought the feature would be on Itunes but in I saw that there is an option on the devices itself (which I didnt know about). Ive had devices for 2 years.

Device > Settings > Itunes and app store > Automatic downloads

Is there where you turn it off or somewhere else? I have been looking on Itunes (latest version) and I never saw it.

Ill be irked to find out if this is where I should have been looking . . . on the device, and not Itunes

Thank you

In general: if you disable it on your iPad, apps you've installed or purchased on other devices aren't transferred to the iPad automatically. So this should solve your problem of apps re-downloading themselves.

Last edited:
OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I have been trying it out.

Here is what Ive done and the questions I have as a result

I turned 'automatic downloads' to off on my Ipad.
I organize my apps in Itunes. I click 'apply' and it syncs

If I click on 'transfer puchases', apps I havent seen in awhile are downloaded. Are they downloaded to the app section?

In the app section, I delete apps and choose 'delete/move to recycle bin'. Is that the last I will see of them?

Get Updates
I 'get updates' and old apps are updated and moved to the app section. Correct?

So to delete apps for good, they must be removed from the apps section. Is this right?

I have gone into Windows Explorer and removed apps from there because it seems like old apps re appear and I thought it cant if it is not on the computer

Thanks for any insight

Apps library (above ringtones) . . .
004.jpg

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I have been trying it out.

Here is what Ive done and the questions I have as a result

I turned 'automatic downloads' to off on my Ipad.
I organize my apps in Itunes. I click 'apply' and it syncs

If I click on 'transfer puchases', apps I havent seen in awhile are downloaded. Are they downloaded to the app section?

In the app section, I delete apps and choose 'delete/move to recycle bin'. Is that the last I will see of them?

Get Updates
I 'get updates' and old apps are updated and moved to the app section. Correct?

So to delete apps for good, they must be removed from the apps section. Is this right?

I have gone into Windows Explorer and removed apps from there because it seems like old apps re appear and I thought it cant if it is not on the computer

Thanks for any insight

Apps library (above ringtones) . . .

What you intend to do is delete them in iTunes, I guess.

Here's a way how to do it:

The first thing you need to do is clear out all the existing apps in your iTunes library, including the ones you want to keep. Simply go to the Apps section of iTunes, select all, and hit Command-Delete.

Once you’ve deleted the apps in iTunes, quit iTunes and go to the Mobile Applications folder in your iTunes library folder. If you’ve left it in the default spot it will be located in your Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications. It should be empty; sometimes, though, you’ll find an app or two hiding in there. If that’s the case, simply drag them to the trash.

At this point you have no apps at all in iTunes.

Relaunch iTunes, and connect an iOS device, but do not sync it. Instead, go to the menu bar and select File>Devices>Transfer Purchases from (the name of your iOS device). This will bring over any apps from your iOS device and re-add them to your library.

What you can't do is delete apps in your App Store - Purchased on your iPad.

Last edited:
OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but Im not deleting on all apps and start over. I have 300+ apps

There has to be some other way

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're not starting all over, the apps stay in your App Store - Purchased on iPad, like this:

image-2352427738.jpg

Okay now, from beginning again:

Do you have apps in iTunes on your PC that don't show up on your iPad in App Store - Purchased? (Neither with cloud, nor with "Open")

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you turn off automatic downloads on your iPad, than then keep only the apps you want on your iPad, then problem is solved. They will not be redownloaded. Organize on your iPad and avoid iTunes.

Personally, iTunes leads me to frustration, so I use it only for backups and to restore. I spend my time using my iPad not fussing with iTunes. :)

OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI
Sorry I was short with you J A. This has been frustrating and I just realized something as I made a video.

Ive spent an hour on this video. Im pooped and I could add more but I wont right now.

My new understanding is that apps go to the 'app section' and when you 'transfer purchases', the app is moved onto the device connected to the computer.

Note: I dont sync using Icloud. I dont trust it ;-)

Note: I missed 'free poker' when Im adding poker games

Last edited by a moderator:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll try to answer at least one of your questions, and I have 1 in return. I'll ask it after answering.

First: You can also use iPhone apps with your iPad. You're able to enlarge them:

image-492934947.jpg

image-3926558560.jpg

Now my question:
Do you always use iTunes to purchase apps? This way all of your purchased apps are downloaded to your device. You can also purchase apps with your iPad, and you don't have to connect it to your pc when you use it this way. I myself haven't used my pc for quite a while.

Go to the App Store:

image-1300442153.jpg

1: Featured - you can search for apps, look at new ones, ... And of course download them!
2: Purchased - here you see every app you downloaded once. You can not delete them once they are there!

image-921676368.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi J A,
No, I never use Itunes to buy apps on. I buy apps on my devices.

I will connect my device and transfer purchases and sync my device.

And sometimes, apps I havent seen for a month are being downloaded, for example, 'pimp my sound' was transferred (or was it copied)? to my device

I finally figured out Itunes is like the mother ship and the devices sync to it. Prior to that - as a newbie - I move move apps around on my devices and I couldnt understand why apps I havent seen are being downloaded and nothing was happening as I thought.

I got the premise of moving apps around and then this happened and I thought it is too confusing.

Ive had the devices for 2 and 1/2 years and only yesterday did I know that transferring purchases meant they go to the app section (Im not even sure that is right until you have confirmed this)

How did Steve Jobs get to be conisdered a genuis when people have so much trouble with this OR he and his team couldnt write an instruction book to make it an easy process.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS
A question about my video
Why did 1 poker app and 2 golf apps not sync onto my device? (assuming you watched the video)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course I watched your video, several times, to be sure what you wanted to know.

I can't find an answer why these three apps didn't appear on your screen. You're sure you didn't download them before? In that case they were already on your iPad.

I have two devices, but I don't use iTunes to sync them. As AQ_OC said - I use it for backup and restoring.

Last edited:
OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
It doesnt matter about why they didnt download.

Why didn an app like 'pimp my sound' reinstall?
Where do I turn off 'automatic downloads'? On the device(s)? I just want to make sure

I could just go into Windows Explorer to remove unwanted apps but sometimes the app's names dont always match the app

Thank you for the help ;-)

Mark

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn off Automatic Downloads on your iPad in Settings - iTunes & App Stores.

I suppose the app reinstalled, because you synced your iPad with iTunes and didn't turn off Automatic Downloads before syncing.

Last edited:

Most reactions