What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob here

queenie521

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have had my iPad1 for a little over a month now. I've heard of jail breaking before but always thought it was illegal until I started doing some research into it. I am interested in jail breaking my iPad but I want to make sure I am well educated on what to do and more importantly what NOT to do. Can some one point me to some links where I can get this information so I am not going ahead blindly?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do a search or just click on the redsn0w link in my signature. Probably the best tutorial on the forum.
Have fun, and reply with any questions! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So I have had my iPad1 for a little over a month now. I've heard of jail breaking before but always thought it was illegal until I started doing some research into it. I am interested in jail breaking my iPad but I want to make sure I am well educated on what to do and more importantly what NOT to do. Can some one point me to some links where I can get this information so I am not going ahead blindly?

Hi Queenie - welcome to the iPad Forums - I'm a newbie to this device also - just bought an iPad2 - just curious w/ your first post and the older model of the iPad, that your initial interest is in jail breaking the machine - would think that you would want to first discover what the device can offer for your needs? Just saying - :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome. You can't get a better start than reading the links Tim pointed you to, and have a look though the rest of the stickies in here and the guides section. That should give you a really good flavour of what jailbreaking is and is not about.

We have lots of passionate jailbreaking members here, so if you decide you want to proceed and still have questions, fire off a new thread or a response in the relevant post and we'll see if we can help.

My recommendation if you are going ahead is get yourself onto 4.3.3, the latest firmware, if you are not already on it (no special process, just update in iTunes). Once you are happy there (or if you have it already installed), then follow my redsn0w tutorial.

Happy Hacking!

OP
Q

queenie521

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giradman...I may have only had my iPad for a month but I am extremely familiar with the platform as I have had the iPhone since it was first released. The iPad is obviously very similar and I am interested in being able to personalize it to my liking as well as seeing what other apps are out there that apple would not sell in their app store. I am a little more nervous at jail breaking my iPhone because I cannot afford to mess up the thing I make calls on (plus it is slow enough as it is and battery goes quick since it is the oldest model).

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
queenie521 said:
Giradman...I may have only had my iPad for a month but I am extremely familiar with the platform as I have had the iPhone since it was first released. The iPad is obviously very similar and I am interested in being able to personalize it to my liking as well as seeing what other apps are out there that apple would not sell in their app store. I am a little more nervous at jail breaking my iPhone because I cannot afford to mess up the thing I make calls on (plus it is slow enough as it is and battery goes quick since it is the oldest model).

So did you jailbreak yet? And I guess you want to know of any good stuff in Cydia.

Last edited:
OP
Q

queenie521

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
So did you jailbreak yet? And I guess you want to know of any good stuff in Cydia.

Not yet.....just reading the links tim posted. I'm relatively tech savvy but I'm no computer nerd so I just want to make sure everything is within my capabilities.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman...I may have only had my iPad for a month but I am extremely familiar with the platform as I have had the iPhone since it was first released. The iPad is obviously very similar and I am interested in being able to personalize it .......

Thanks Queenie for the explanation - I've had an iPod for a while so understand the familiarity issue - made starting to use the iPad2 a lot easier for me!

I'm also quite curious about 'jail breaking' into these devices so will keep attuned w/ this and other threads on the subject - :)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Thanks Queenie for the explanation - I've had an iPod for a while so understand the familiarity issue - made starting to use the iPad2 a lot easier for me!

I'm also quite curious about 'jail breaking' into these devices so will keep attuned w/ this and other threads on the subject - :)

There is no jailbreak for ipad 2 yet, so
Pay attention to this thread an subscribe to it to get notified. http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/22660-ipad-2-jailbreak-4-3-a.html
And especially this; http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/31363-official-ipad2-jailbreak-news-thread.html

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no jailbreak for ipad 2 yet, so
Pay attention to this thread an subscribe to it to get notified. http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/22660-ipad-2-jailbreak-4-3-a.html
And especially this; http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/31363-official-ipad2-jailbreak-news-thread.html

Yep & thanks - I've already been to those threads, and I imagine that once JB is released for the iPad2, those threads will be easily found in the 'active topics' selection at the top menu bar! :D

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Yep & thanks - I've already been to those threads, and I imagine that once JB is released for the iPad2, those threads will be easily found in the 'active topics' selection at the top menu bar! :D

Oh, they will be alive and well. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts