No underscore

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by joodyanne, Jan 1, 2018.

1. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Mini iPad playing up this morning. My email address has an underscore in it (Im currently on desktop, as I can't sign into anything on iPad). When I press underscore I get the hyphen sign. Also when I press @ I get a 2. Can anyone help please.

2. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You could try a forced restart, which wouldn’t delete anything. Hold down the Home and the Power button together until the  appears, then let go. Your iPad will then restart.

3. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thank Jupiter7, I just tried this and it made no difference :(

4. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Jupiter7, I've just tried that, but it didn't work! :(

5. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You could try turning off Smart Punctuation in the Keyboards setting under General. This does sound like a bug, but this may help until it get fixed.

6. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Have turned it off as you suggested, but it still doesnt work.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    First, make sure you are using the correct keyboard. If you have more than one keyboard set up (different languages) you may be using a keyboard that does not have the underscore where you expect it.

In the normal course of things, long pressing on the dash should give you a small popup with the underscore as an option. Slide your fintger to it. Alternately, tap the “.?123” key to see extra characters. There should be an underscore key there.

This is also where you will find the @ key if it’s not showing. The iPad’s keyboard is adaptive, and will ususally show things like an @ key or .com key when you are in a text field where they are required. Otherwise they are found on the second “.?123” keyboard, or the other number/symbol keyboard.

I’d show you screenshots, but my 12.9” iPad Pro keyboard has a different (more expansive) keyboard layout; and I’m not sure they keys you are looking for are in the same place.

8. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I am using English Australian QWERTY Keyboard and live in Australia. I know where all the underscores are - I think there are 3, and at least two @'s but they all stay the same - either ------ or 222222

It was working ok last night and never happened before.

9. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    After going to the .?123 keyboard, there should be an #+= key as well, where you should find the underscore. Like this:
    BBAE9525-F0C5-49C7-B6AA-62D8CFA321BA.png
    This is the (Australian QWERTY) keyboard of an iPad Pro 10.5”. It shouldn’t be too different from your mini’s keyboard.

10. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Another possible solution would be to reset the keyboard dictionary. The Reset Keyboard Dictionary is under Reset in General Settings.