What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No underscore

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mini iPad playing up this morning. My email address has an underscore in it (Im currently on desktop, as I can't sign into anything on iPad). When I press underscore I get the hyphen sign. Also when I press @ I get a 2. Can anyone help please.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try a forced restart, which wouldn’t delete anything. Hold down the Home and the Power button together until the  appears, then let go. Your iPad will then restart.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try turning off Smart Punctuation in the Keyboards setting under General. This does sound like a bug, but this may help until it get fixed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, make sure you are using the correct keyboard. If you have more than one keyboard set up (different languages) you may be using a keyboard that does not have the underscore where you expect it.

In the normal course of things, long pressing on the dash should give you a small popup with the underscore as an option. Slide your fintger to it. Alternately, tap the “.?123” key to see extra characters. There should be an underscore key there.

This is also where you will find the @ key if it’s not showing. The iPad’s keyboard is adaptive, and will ususally show things like an @ key or .com key when you are in a text field where they are required. Otherwise they are found on the second “.?123” keyboard, or the other number/symbol keyboard.

I’d show you screenshots, but my 12.9” iPad Pro keyboard has a different (more expansive) keyboard layout; and I’m not sure they keys you are looking for are in the same place.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am using English Australian QWERTY Keyboard and live in Australia. I know where all the underscores are - I think there are 3, and at least two @'s but they all stay the same - either ------ or 222222

It was working ok last night and never happened before.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After going to the .?123 keyboard, there should be an #+= key as well, where you should find the underscore. Like this:
BBAE9525-F0C5-49C7-B6AA-62D8CFA321BA.png

This is the (Australian QWERTY) keyboard of an iPad Pro 10.5”. It shouldn’t be too different from your mini’s keyboard.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks JA - I am aware of that.
Jupiter7 - I will have a go at your suggestion, - have now tried resetting the keyboard dictionary, rebooted and Im sad to say that didnt work either.

It is really weird, as it was working one night and not the next day, and nothing had been changed.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have solved the problem. I pretended to log in to another site, and it worked quite well.
The problem was I had downloaded Last Pass (which I have on desktop) and the particular Last Pass page I was trying to log into, would not accept the _ & @ - I got out of Last Pass altogether, rebooted, and found the application again - this time I opened it up to log in (different page) and it worked fine.

Sorry to cause you all problems, but thanks for helping anyway.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No need to be sorry. By updating the thread with your discovery of the cause and the solution, you may help others in the future. I use LastPass as well, and although I've never had your problem, if I ever do I'll be glad to know there's a fix. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts