What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No spell checking in pages ?

andyc12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, not sure if this is posted in the correct place, sorry if not... I have done a search but found nothing on this.

I downloaded pages last night for my iPad 1 and it looks great for what I need , but the spell checker seems not to work, it is turned on in pages settings but no miss spelled words are underlined in red and there are plenty that should be. The words it's missing are not words and when you select them there are no definitions for them or replacements.

Auto correct is on in ipad settings menu and language is set to English British. It works in my other apps like mail, ipf etc. If I cut a wrongly spelled word which is underlined in red out of another app and paste it into pages , pages does not display it as a spelling mistake by underlining it with red dots.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I have Pages too and the spell checker works just fine. Try the 'fix all problems' solution by trying a complete power down of the iPad (press and hold the Power button until the slider control appears) and see if that fixes the problem.

Tim

OP
A

andyc12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim thanks for the reply mate. Have just done that but it unfortunately has no affect...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't understand. You've got autocorrect on in 'Settings', 'General', 'Keyboard', 'Autocorrect'->'On'

And

You've got 'spell checker' enabled in Pages' settings?

Can't think what else there is! Works fine for me....

I'll think for a while......:D

Tim

OP
A

andyc12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes all that and in pages settings, just cannot get it to red underline a miss spelt word. I have even deleted pages from the iPad and iTunes and re-downloaded. And installed it. Have tried creating new documents, adding miss-spelt words to templates but nothing works. Has got me stumped, it works in all other apps !

OP
A

andyc12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think I have found a solution. Have been playing in settings and tried changing the language from British English to English and pages seems to be spell checking now, very strange, learn something new every day.....

Thanks for your help Tim

Last edited:

pernille k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am experience the same kind of problems. In the intro text, it tells you to choose a word, press "more" and press "definition". The "definition" option does not appear in my version of Pages. What do I do wrong?
In a friends iPad i have seen the spell check in action.. Is there any way to add words to the dictionary??

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot directly add words to the User Dictionary but there is a workaround. A Member noticed that the iPad never flags as a spelling mistake the name of a contact in the iPad's native Contacts app. So he suggested, and it works just fine, that you can add 'spoof' entries to your contacts database for frequently used words that the iPad doesn't know about - perhaps technical or business terms. Works just fine..

Tim

Most reactions