What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no sound with speakers, only earphones

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
andypp said:
dear all,

just got my ipad2 for a week and need some help.

now when i turn on my ipad2 and play music or youtube clips, the sound comes from speaker for only about 5-20 seconds, and all of sudden it's gone. and when i use the side volume buttons it will tell me that it's adjsuting the volume of headphone, even though there's no headphone plugged in. so now if i do plug in a headphone, i can hear the music, but with karaoke sound effect (vocal track is digitally erased, with background music unchanged).

I realized that I had installed an app called "pocketsing", a free karaoke effect app. But i had deleted it. and after having this sound problem, i have tried reboot (holding home and power), erase all settings from ipad, restoring from itunes...

nothing worked. is it possible that this "pocketsing" app actually corrupted the ipad2 firmware somehow? can't imagine why even after restoring in itunes it still won't work.

any ideas or suggestions? thank you!

Looks like you got the same problem as i got earlier except the karaoke effect. I went to the store and they tried to fixed it for like a week with no results. So it ended up that i got a new ipad. I recommend you go back where you bought your ipad, or you could try last try by plug in the jacket in out several times, maybe 30-40 and see how that can work out.

If that doesnt work, the only thing you can do as i did is to go back where you bought it and get a new one cause it may seem to be a hardware problem.

RJB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blu3Moon, i am having the same issue with my new iPad2. same exact thing happened to me. did you get any answers?

RJB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quick note on my previous post. I have not download the app "pocketsing".

themayneline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My solution was the side switch

Sometime after I updated the os on my iPad I noticed I lost sound out of the speakers. 90% of my apps would not play through the speakers. I could still play sound from the iPod app through my speakers. It turned out it was tha pesky Side switch. I checked my settings.

I went into settings -> General -> use side switch. It was set to lock rotation. So I figured that it now had nothing to do with sound. WRONG! I changed it from lock orientation to mute. Bam it worked all sound can come out of either the speakers or the headphones.

The boys and girls in apple land must have messed up the functionality on the switch when they upgraded the os.

I hope this helps someone else.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When the switch is set to lock rotation the old way (in the muiti-task bar) is changed to the mute function. To get to it you double tap the home button, then swipe left to gain the volume controles. On the left will be an icon to lock rotation or mute, the opposirpte of whatever you select the switch to do.

Since the mute function does not show in any way in the status bar, the only way to be sure it is not set is to visit the icon on the multi-task bar whenit is not assigned to the switch.

My guess is that it was set until you changed the control back to the switch, which of course unset it.

JOHNF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any new post to this issue. I have a new ipad2 used for a few hours version 4.3.3. and experience the exact same thing. No speaker volume but volume through the headphones. only. When the headphones are out volume up/downs still illustrates volume for headphones!!!

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deliver your ipad back from where you purchased it, its defect. Nothing to do.

terrypad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very complex

Deliver your ipad back from where you purchased it, its defect. Nothing to do.

Actually, I think this audio problem is very complex. I have been suffering for at least three weeks now, and some days it's perfectly alright! But some things are very weird. It will be playing to my speakers plugged in to the headphone socket and after about 15 mins suddenly switch off. Unplug from the headphone jack -no sound from the internal speakers (no volume available) plug back in and get sound! Unplug - guess what? No sound :-( However, if I plug in the charger the label says not charging BUT low and behold the sound plays through the internal speakers!

If I unplug the non-charging charger the sound disappears again....

There are lots of other weid happenings so very complex to solve I think.

cerebrave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.. this is a long lost thread.. but I think I can contribute a solution.

Its not a hardware problem. In fact I realize its coming from where the problem starts, when I did put a new "capdase" casing..

ok directly to the cure.
1. you go to setting > general > sound
2. play around with your volume button and the "Ringer and alerts" volume bar. This is where you can hear the sound from the speaker.
3. you may want to play around with the "change with button switch".
4. play around with the volume button, you shall see the word "headphones" now missing from the volume bars.
5. keep playing the sound and hear the nice speaker now speaking again.
6. back to General menu, and back to setting, try this by Keeping playing around with the sound button where the "headphones" words are not with it (THIS IS IMPORTANT).
7. hit home button, and try your apps. You should now have them in speaker again :)

I guess the problem came on my ipad is when I did install a new capdase casing, the button were pressed randomly, switches get switched, etc. And my ipad reboot its self... a weird behaviour. I think I'm going to make holes for button in my capdase casing. It pressed buttons inadvertently resulting to a weird behavior.

The key for my problem is on step 6, where you have to trick-force the OS to leave "headphone" mode

Thanks and hope it helped.

DamitDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometime after I updated the os on my iPad I noticed I lost sound out of the speakers. 90% of my apps would not play through the speakers. I could still play sound from the iPod app through my speakers. It turned out it was tha pesky Side switch. I checked my settings.

I went into settings -> General -> use side switch. It was set to lock rotation. So I figured that it now had nothing to do with sound. WRONG! I changed it from lock orientation to mute. Bam it worked all sound can come out of either the speakers or the headphones.

The boys and girls in apple land must have messed up the functionality on the switch when they upgraded the os.

I hope this helps someone else.

I signed up on these forums just to say THANK YOU to Mayneline. I work in tech support for a company that creates remote connectivity software for iOS, and your post on this thread helped us solve the issue. Much apprececiated, and thanks again!

-Dan

Swinto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried everything here and nothing worked, finally just played a movie through my speaker dock and pulled out the jack when it was still going,sound came straight out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tried everything here and nothing worked, finally just played a movie through my speaker dock and pulled out the jack when it was still going,sound came straight out.

An interesting trick. Thanks for sharing it. I have a speaker dock, so it might come in hand some day.

kanedakun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey!!!

I just registered only to answer this thread. :)

I finally was able to find a solution after several minutes of going through all of the suggestions in here... and finally, my caveman self just decided to go medieval on the headphones plug and stick a toothpick in it and guess what? I took a giant ball of garbage out of it, and volume just came back from the speakers!!!

Maybe you wanna try that too. Sometimes, the dumbest answer is the correct one... and I noticed that iPhone's jacks are always getting dirty by being all the time in pockets and tables. Not for nothing ALL other phones have protective rubber coverings for the jacks.

Well... I hope this medieval solution helps you!

Cheers!

K'

alglees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went in to settings & to restrictions. I had locked the sound. So I unlocked it & then went back to music settings. Hear the volume control was previously set to low. I was now able to adjust it to a higher level. Thanks for the previous posts it helped me sort out what I had done.

Froggy Flint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey!!!

I just registered only to answer this thread. :)

I finally was able to find a solution after several minutes of going through all of the suggestions in here... and finally, my caveman self just decided to go medieval on the headphones plug and stick a toothpick in it and guess what? I took a giant ball of garbage out of it, and volume just came back from the speakers!!!

Maybe you wanna try that too. Sometimes, the dumbest answer is the correct one... and I noticed that iPhone's jacks are always getting dirty by being all the time in pockets and tables. Not for nothing ALL other phones have protective rubber coverings for the jacks.

Well... I hope this medieval solution helps you!

Cheers!

K'

After months of looking for an answer, finally I just use my son's toothbrush. Brush nicely on the connector and the volume is back.
Hope it might help..

image.jpgimage.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts