What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sound from speaker dock....

Willsmam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I recently bought a dock with speakers. Once docked the Ipad2 shows its charging so the connection is there but I cannot get it play music through the speakers.
Its not the dock at fault as a friends ipad2 plays ok and so does my ipod.
The ipad plays ok through headphones and its own speaker.
Am I missing a setting somewhere?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) If you can here music through your iPad 2 speakers, then I'm assuming you do not have 'mute' activated either by the side switch or in the control panel/settings? You also might want to provide the iOS installed (although likely not an issue).

If not already done, try a 'Reset', i.e. hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, release both and wait for the device to re-boot (no apps, data, nor settings will be lost) - give the speaker dock another try.

Finally, I know you are able to 'charge' the device on the speaker dock, but other connections in the 30-pin port carry sound - have you ever had any damage there? Please post back - Dave

OP
W

Willsmam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply.
Tried reset
No damage as far as Im aware

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry the 'Reset' did not work - had my fingers crossed - :) About my only other suggestion, if feasible, is trying your iPad 2 on another speaker dock - if that does not work, then their may be an issue w/ your 30-pin connector. Dave

P.S. Saw that you 'double posted' which is frowned upon - I'm sure a mod will be around to correct the situation.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've deleted the other post you made on this topic. Besides fragmenting any resulting conversation, making it hard to follow, it's also against our rules.

OP
W

Willsmam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the connector?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the connector?

Hi again - well, try the device on another speaker dock just to make sure that is the problem? As you likely know, Apple no longer offers this model and your warranty is presumably over even w/ AppleCare - also, an Apple store if convenient to you likely would not even give you an assessment (my guess), so an 'authorized' Apple repair service could be consulted for at least an estimate (I just sold my iPad 2 online for $140 of which I received $114 after the commission was deducted).

The 30-pin dock can be replaced even as a DIY job - check iFixit - the part is $20 and some tools and other gadgets add to the expense - however, pick the right guide (scroll down the linked page) for your device to view the self-repair - described as 'difficult to very difficult'.

Also, keep in mind that as long as the iPad is charging in your speaker dock, I'm assuming that there is a mini-stereo input jack that you could connect to the headphone output of your iPad, I would think - small pain but a possibility? Good luck - Dave :)

OP
W

Willsmam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an aux in hole in the dock so am I looking for one of these?
3.5mm Male to Male Jack 4 Pole Car AUX Audio Cord Connect Cable Record Headphone

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's an aux in hole in the dock so am I looking for one of these?
3.5mm Male to Male Jack 4 Pole Car AUX Audio Cord Connect Cable Record Headphone

Yep - 3.5 mm stereo mini cable w/ male tips, like the one shown below - I have a half dozen of these laying around the house - should work fine - let us know. Dave :)
trqzut1331799862272.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts