What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No service???

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I attached a pic of my home screen. I noticed yesterday it's been saying no service however I'm on wifi and it works fine. Is it because I purchased a verizon device but haven't signed up yet?? I got that just in case I decided to use it outside of my home but don't want to pay for it unless I need it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 568

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is because you don't use a SIM card yet. Usually, in an iPad with Wi-Fi & 3G, this would show the carrier, if a Nano SIM card is in use. See my screenshot:
image.jpg

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So once I "activate" my verizon service it won't show the no service message? If I activate I will get charged monthly right?

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh I just turned OFF cellular data and the message went away. I guess I'm fine on wifi until I need to turn my verizon cellular service on. I'm wondering if I purchased the verizon version there must be a verizon sim in it right?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea. I purchased my Air from Apple, but had to organize the SIM card on my own. I didn't have to choose the carrier when I purchased it. It's different in Austria.

On the US Apple Store website, it says that the box includes iPad, cable and adapter. So I suppose you'll have to get the SIM card for yourself, like I did.

Afaik Verizon also offers contract-free data plans.

Last edited:
OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No idea. I purchased my Air from Apple, but had to organize the SIM card on my own. I didn't have to choose the carrier when I purchased it. It's different in Austria.

On the US Apple Store website, it says that the box includes iPad, cable and adapter. So I suppose you'll have to get the SIM card for yourself, like I did.

Afaik Verizon also offers contract-free data plans.

Ok I will have to check on that. The Apple store employee gave me the AT & T sim card from my old ipad. I have it sitting here but have no idea if I need it. I imagine I would need a Verizon one. But my box says It's a 32GB Verizon version so I assumed the sim card would be already in there.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a short information:

Afaik the iPad Air is not locked, so in theory you could use an AT & T SIM card in a Verizon model.

The SIM card of your iPad 2 won't fit into your new iPad Air's SIM card tray. Your old device had a Micro SIM, the Air needs a Nano SIM. While it's possible to cut SIM cards so that they fit, it's also possible to wreck them that way.

Last edited:
OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a short information:

Afaik the iPad Air is not locked, so in theory you could use an AT & T SIM card in a Verizon model.

The SIM card of your iPad 2 won't fit into your new iPad Air's SIM card tray. Your old device had a Micro SIM, the Air needs a Nano SIM. While it's possible to cut SIM cards so that they fit, it's also possible to wreck them that way.

Oh! I'm glad you told me! Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, the newer iOS devices, like the iPad Air, are no longer carrier dependent. The hardware will support almost all the carriers, certainly all the major ones. The Verizon/AT&T choice is no longer a choice of hardware, just services.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, the newer iOS devices, like the iPad Air, are no longer carrier dependent. The hardware will support almost all the carriers, certainly all the major ones. The Verizon/AT&T choice is no longer a choice of hardware, just services.

Interesting! They did sell me a "verizon" version at my local apple store though?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to select a carrier, but the iPad is not locked, which means you can also use Nano SIM cards from the other carriers.

It's the same when you purchase a new iPad Air in the online U. S. Apple Store. You have to choose a carrier, or else the order can't be completed.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to select a carrier, but the iPad is not locked, which means you can also use Nano SIM cards from the other carriers.

It's the same when you purchase a new iPad Air in the online U. S. Apple Store. You have to choose a carrier, or else the order can't be completed.

Correct. I purchased mine at a local store and asked specifically for an AT&T model and that's exactly what I got. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts