What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Service Inscription

angeleden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my iPad2 is linked on a Belkin wireless router.
The signal is good.
But, in the upper right corner, just left of the icon Airport signal, it is always written "No service".
Is it normal?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my iPad2 is linked on a Belkin wireless router.
The signal is good.
But, in the upper right corner, just left of the icon Airport signal, it is always written "No service".
Is it normal?

OK - a couple of questions..

I'm guessing you mean the upper-left hand corner of the iPad screen you see 'No Service' - that is a message to say that you're not receiving any 3G signal. If you're on WiFi at the moment, that doesn't matter. It's just an indication that there's no 3G coverage at your present location...so, rest easy if you have WiFi and enjoy your iPad..

Have fun and welcome from a rainy Scotland!!

Tim

OP
A

angeleden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I'm guessing you mean the upper-left hand corner of the iPad screen you see 'No Service' - that is a message to say that you're not receiving any 3G signal. If you're on WiFi at the moment, that doesn't matter. It's just an indication that there's no 3G coverage at your present location...so, rest easy if you have WiFi and enjoy your iPad..

Tim

ok, but i don't have a G3 model... so i find it stupid to show a No service inscription!!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Airport icon signal? At the upper right? I'm definitly confused.

Could you post a screen shot?

To take a screen shot on the iPad briefly press the home and power buttons at the same time. The picture will show up in your Photo app. Mail it to yourself, and then use main site (on a computer) and the advanced editor to attach the file.

OP
A

angeleden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Airport icon signal? At the upper right? I'm definitly confused.

Sorry, I'm am so excited of all this new learning that my brainis flipping side... :))
No service is at the far LEFT upper corner.
Again, I don't have a G3 iPad2, so I don't see the use of this inscription.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you really only do have the WiFi version of the iPad2 then you shouldn't see this 'No service' message; that appears only on the 3G models when there is no coverage. So, this may sound like a silly question I know, but are you really sure you don't have a 3G model? Furthermore, if you did have a 3G model, you would normally only get this message if you have a SIM card installed, otherwise you'd see the 'No SIM' message - if it's a GSM version of the iPad. I'm not sure what Verizon models display, since they don't have a SIM, so I'm guessing a Verizon model would only display the 'No Service' message.

Since Verizon doesn't use GSM technology, it only works in the US and a very few other countries.

If you go to your iPad's 'Settings' menu can you see any settings there - such as 'Carrier' or 'Cellular Data'? If so, you have a 3G iPad somehow.

twerppoet knows a lot more about this than I do, so I'm sure that he'll be able to help you sort this out, even if my ideas don't work...:(

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm still wondering about the Airport icon. I'm thinking an airplane icon. If there is an icon at your top left that looks like an airplane, then you are in Airplane Mode, which should turn all your radios off.

Go into the settings app, at the very top is Airplane Mode. Turn it off.

I'm tending to agree with Tim about the No Service text. It should not be there on a WiFi only iPad, but I suppose I could be wrong. Mine says iPad at the top left, it's a WiFi only iPad. My old 3G iPad 1 used to say AT&T, at least when the 3G was turned on. I can't remember what it says with it off. I may have to borrow it back from Mom long enough to find out.

OP
A

angeleden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I'm still wondering about the Airport icon. I'm thinking an airplane icon. I'm tending to agree with Tim about the No Service text. Mine says iPad at the top left, it's a WiFi only iPad.

Airport signal is the dot with 2 curved lines. All other WiFi iPad users that I know have "iPad" written at the upper left. That's why I was asking what I did wrong...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I'm still wondering about the Airport icon. I'm thinking an airplane icon. I'm tending to agree with Tim about the No Service text. Mine says iPad at the top left, it's a WiFi only iPad.

Airport signal is the dot with 2 curved lines. All other WiFi iPad users that I know have "iPad" written at the upper left. That's why I was asking what I did wrong...

OK - the dot with two curved lines is the WiFi signal and shows the strength of the wireless network. Can you see if your iPad has a SIM card drawer? If it does (look in the manual to see where it's located) then you have a 3G iPad. I can't see any other explanation at present.

Tim

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed, mine says iPad up there next to the signal bars, unless I have 3G turned on. Then it says AT&T or " ---" if I've no data plan at the time.

OP
A

angeleden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Do you see if your iPad has a SIM card drawer? If it does (look in the manual to see where it's located) then you have a 3G iPad. I can't see any other explanation at present.
Tim

No SIM card drawer for sure. And it is written in Spanish!!! "Sin servico"...

Most reactions

Latest posts