What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No more street view for my ipad 3 maps

tsmrg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It now show the small symbols for information (i) and for directions (a car). The symbol for street view to enable me to see actual buildings in detail is no longer available. What can i do. I have ios 6.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't have time to check. I guess you'll have to use your computer, unfortunately, until (or if) Google makes a maps app for iOS.

G

Grytpype

There's nothing much you can do about it – when you updated to iOS 6, it wiped all the apps that used Google Maps and replaced them with the inferior Apple Maps.

I posted this about 3 months ago in a thread where people were getting over-excited about the silly "Flyover" feature in Apple Maps:

The novelty of flying around over a few cities will soon wear off; there are probably games that do that better anyway. A gimmick like that doesn't really add useful functionality to a maps app/program.

Instead of getting excited by this relatively useless feature, we need to hear what is going to happen to the Google-based map apps we are using at the moment. Will Apple continue to permit their use, or will these apps be removed as soon as we update to iOS 6?

Having lost the use of one extremely good app last year when Apple spitefully disabled it, I will be looking for crystal-clear reassurance that the Google-based map apps I am using now will continue to work in future before I go anywhere near iOS 6 and the new Apple maps app.

Needless to say, I have NOT updated to iOS 6.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Get Live Street View Free. Not as good as the old street view, but usable, and fast.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
T

tsmrg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys. I dont know why apple removed our nice map view to replace it with this very bad maps

Sent from my iPad using iPF

G

Grytpype

I dont know why apple removed our nice map view to replace it with this very bad maps
The reason is depressingly simple: they removed it because they hate Google. They are behaving like spiteful children. They've done this type of thing before with other apps/systems.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's oversimplified. Apple was unhappy about letting Google get all that juicy user location data for free. It's worth a fortune to advertisers, and Apple decided to retain control of it. As usual, it's not about emotions. It's about money.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps, just perhaps, folks at Apple read this and similar blogs and have come to the understanding that millions of iOS users are really irritated by this premature push out of an incomplete product. Their Apple response that this is new and will get better over the next few years just doesn't get it. With five iPads and six iPhones in our family, only my iPad and iPhone have iOS6, there will be no such upgrade on the other machines until Apple get's it right or allows Google's new mapping app into the app store.

Most reactions

Latest posts