What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No ipod icon?

forshtay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to setup home sharing on my ipad2 and cannot find the ipod icon/app. I have read to go into settings and find the ipod icon located under the safari icon, but it is not there. When I go to the music icon, the only tab at the bottom is "store". I am running software version 5.0.1. Any suggestions?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The reason you can't find it is because Apple replaced it with the Music app with IOS5, apparently changed a few things too which some members were not too happy about. We do have a rather lengthy thread about it.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
F

forshtay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize if it seems I just quickly posted a thread without researching, but I have looked and searched everything I can think of (in this forum and a few others) and cannot find a solution to my problem. Where I get hung up (when reading the manual) is when I'm supposed to try this - "In Music, tap More, then tap Shared and choose your computer’s library." When I open music, the only tab at the bottom is store, which takes me to itunes. I added an album from itunes to see if this would give me more options. This gave me the tabs "playlists, songs, artists, albums, more". When I select "more", genres and composers comes up.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a thought, but have you activated home sharing in iTunes on your PC/Mac and if you have, is iTunes open on your PC/Mac when you go into the Music app on your iPad and tap the more tab?

The Archangel

OP
F

forshtay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a thought, but have you activated home sharing in iTunes on your PC/Mac and if you have, is iTunes open on your PC/Mac when you go into the Music app on your iPad and tap the more tab?

The Archangel

I activated home sharing in itunes with no problems and have kept itunes open while trying to navigate this. My wifi is working fine, the same connection that my home computer is connected to. I just can't seem to get to this shared tab under music>more.

OP
F

forshtay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just realized, could this be a bonjour issue? I just noticed that bonjour is disabled.

OP
F

forshtay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So have you enabled it now and is everything working as it should?

The Archangel

I've enabled bonjour. In itunes, I went to edit>preferences>sharing and checked "share my library on my local network", and checked the "share entire library" option. I then turned my ipad off then on, but nothing extra shows up in the music app. I double checked my apple ID and password under settings>music and everything is fine there. Still stuck.

OP
F

forshtay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not sure if this means anything, but when I open music the first time after turning it off/on, it kind of glitches and for a split second I can see some tabs at the bottom of the screen, but they disappear and only store remains.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you got any music at all loaded on the iPad?

If not:

Most of the tabs at the bottom are for organizing your music, and I wonder if the lack of any songs could be causing problems. If you have any music from the iTunes store, try going to the purchased tab in the store and downloading one or two songs, and see if that helps.

Since it seems to be a problem with the app (since even the More tab is missing), you should also try the usual fixes, if you haven't already done so. I'll paste them at the bottom of the screen.

And while I"m at it, here are the three (as far as I know) requirements for Home sharing to work.

• It must be enabled in iTunes Preferences on the computer.
  • iTunes must be running on the computer.
  • You must enter your AppleID and password on the iPad in Settings > Music.

Good luck.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
F

forshtay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you got any music at all loaded on the iPad?

If not:

Most of the tabs at the bottom are for organizing your music, and I wonder if the lack of any songs could be causing problems. If you have any music from the iTunes store, try going to the purchased tab in the store and downloading one or two songs, and see if that helps.

Since it seems to be a problem with the app (since even the More tab is missing), you should also try the usual fixes, if you haven't already done so. I'll paste them at the bottom of the screen.

And while I"m at it, here are the three (as far as I know) requirements for Home sharing to work.
  • It must be enabled in iTunes Preferences on the computer.
  • iTunes must be running on the computer.
  • You must enter your AppleID and password on the iPad in Settings > Music.
Good luck.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

I tried all of the above, but nothing seemed to work. I may have to call Apple, I just bought it two days ago.

danlaw777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing on my ipad and on my iphone. but i DID find it. Double tap the home button and swipe from left to right till you get to the music controls and viola!! there it is!! ALL the time!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tried all of the above, but nothing seemed to work. I may have to call Apple, I just bought it two days ago.

You get 90 days of free tech support when you buy the iPad. Doesn't matter who you bought it from, as long as it's new out of the box. So at least the call to Apple should be free.

Good luck.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing on my ipad and on my iphone. but i DID find it. Double tap the home button and swipe from left to right till you get to the music controls and viola!! there it is!! ALL the time!!

Actually, you will find the iPod or Music app there most of the time, by default. However if you have other audio apps that can play in the background you should find the last one you launched there instead; provided you don't' restart, reset, or clear that app from RAM first.

Most reactions