What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No improvement in photo management in IOS5 - are there any workarounds?

sach160

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm disappointed in ios5 as it doesn't bring features I really want like the ability to manage photo albums that originally came from my pc via iTunes, and most of all the basic ability to delete photos. Is there a way I can re-import all my photos in subfolders that will allow me to delete them via the iPad? Or is there a 3rd party photo app that can do this and remove the need for the iPad photo app? Thanks

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know that if you used iTunes to bring in photos then there is NO way to delete them off the iPad without going to iTunes, removing them there, and then resyncing. Only "native" photos(meaning taken with the iPad itself can be quickly deleted off the unit. Not nsure on the folder management thing but I thought it did have a feature like this????

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've not yet upgraded to iOS 5 - just waiting for early next week to let the Apple servers 'settle down' a bit - :)

The native photo app for the iPad is useless for doing much regarding image manipulation - and from the posts that I've been reading about the newest iOS, the iPad photo version (unlike that for the iPhone) appears to be little improved regarding updated features - oh well.

However, I have a number of additional image apps on my iPad that each provide a variety of added options; these include Photogene, Photo-Sort, Photo-Sync, and several others; Photogene is the one I use the most, mainly to crop and resize images - there are others that have been recommended; check out the App store for reviews, comments, and links to the developers' websites; also, I would suggest doing some 'searching' - there is plenty of information already available on the forum regarding these issues - good luck!

OP
S

sach160

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys

S2mikey - that's precisely the issue, and it's ridiculous. Why do apple go to such efforts to cut the cord and then not do anything about this which means you have to keep using your pc anyway. Poor product development in my opinion. the problem is exacerbated by the fact that if you use windows and rotate your photos on windows they don't come out rotated on the iPad.

I know there are third party apps that do things like rotation but they always save to the camera roll which is of no use as you want them in the original folder albums. What I was thinking, especially since box.net now offer 50gb free cloud space, is there (or why isn't there) a third party app that completely manages photos in its own system that can sync to box.net to backup photos in the cloud or even just keep photos in its app that is backed up via itunes, in the same kind of way that stay ipodcatcher is a much better app for managing and listening to podcasts than the stock app.

Are there any complete photo management apps that let you import your photos and arrange them in folders (including delete and rotate functions), that allow you browse them quickly like the stock photos app allows you to?

bluefish1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having major issues, iCloud keeps duplicating my images on both my iPad, iMac and my laptop. If I delete a photo or group of photos they reapper in a different album. When I try to delete on any device ,it states that images will all be deleted. I am a photographer and do not want my photos to disappear. I use iPhoto to import , and sometimes my iPad. My devices are IOS5, I did not have this duplication before the upgrade.

OP
S

sach160

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, appreciated. I wish there was a way of trying the app out, it's pretty expensive and there's no way of knowing how well it will work, the reviews are mixed. For example can I access photos from photo stream and put them into albums or do ineed to do this from the photo app so they don't get removed after 30 days?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, appreciated. I wish there was a way of trying the app out, it's pretty expensive and there's no way of knowing how well it will work, the reviews are mixed. For example can I access photos from photo stream and put them into albums or do ineed to do this from the photo app so they don't get removed after 30 days?

You can buy an app, try it out and ask for a refund if you don't like it.

PhotoDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a 3rd-party app called Photo Shack that will let you manage your iPad Photos Library the way you want, including adding, moving, and deleting photos from its albums. It will also rotate photos without having to save them, and doesn't actually duplicate anything in your iPad Photos Library anyway. You can buy the standard version and upgrade later to the Pro version if you want.

As far as permanently deleting photos from your iPad, you can only permanently delete photos you create with your camera, saved from the web, or imported via the Camera Connection Kit. Photos synced with iTunes are intended to by managed by iTunes. That's why you can't delete them. This is where Photo Shack can help organize only what you want in the albums you want them in, regardless of where they came from.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts